1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling My brothter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BajanBoy13, Dec 6, 2012.

1. BajanBoy13

I was thinking about coming to my brother, But then I remembered something he said about this girl he was checking out,who I told him was a Lesbian. He out right said 'No Shes NOT, Shes only 16, she cant know that at her age' I tried to explain to him that people know from much younger than that but he wouldn't listen to me. I am turning 15 in 2 weeks and I have no idea what to do because my new years resolution is to come out fully. But before i can do that i have to tell my family. I just don't know how to approach him :/

2. FemCasanova

*Hug*

I think, honestly, that everything is seen in a very different perspective when it`s your family. My mother was a self-declared homophobe, until I came out. She dealt with it, and is now my greatest supporter. I am aware I have been lucky, and that others out there have had less comfortable reactions from their family members. Yet I also know, you won`t know how they`ll react, unless you give them a chance. If he loves you, he will accept you for who you are. His reaction might not be positive (or feel positive to you) there and then, but given some time, he will hopefully get used to the idea. Don`t get upset or disappointed if he doesn`t react exactly like you hoped straight away. For some, the thought can take a while to get used to. But remember that he is your brother. He`s your family by blood, and deserves a chance. Whether he takes it well or not, unfortunately it`s on his head. Be happy if he takes it well, forgive him if he doesn`t. Personally, I think he`ll probably take it better than you fear! When it comes down to it, it`s your acceptance of your self that matter the most.

I would approach him directly on it, when it`s only the two of you. Tell him that you have something you want him to know, and that his support would mean a lot to you. Then after having opened with that, you might want to just throw it out there. "I like guys"/"I get crushes on other guys, not girls"/"I know I`m gay". Something like that. And you can come back here and talk to us afterwards if you feel bad about it, or if you need support. You`re not alone in this!

I think you are doing a brave thing at 15! To be completely honest with those we care about can be difficult, but it`s better than hiding. Even if he doesn`t accept it straight away, you can be proud that you went through with it, that you dare to be honest and unashamed. Also, be proud that you know who you are, and can accept it, at a young age. Hang on to that pride, it`s so important!

3. BajanBoy13

Thanks For this :') My older brother arrives in a week for a month or so ill see how i go :slight_smile:

4. FemCasanova

You`re welcome :slight_smile: