1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evil dentist and evil needles

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Martin, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rightio,

On wednesday i am going to be starting some uber messy cosmetic work on my teeth. (Long story and completely irrelevant to this, so i shant bore you). Anyways, i rushed into this procedure uber quick and it has just dawned on me how much i hate the dentist and how scary it is. :frowning2: I am going to need to have quite a few needles all around my mouth, which is awful considering they make me cringe. >.< I am also having impressions done on wednesday which really make me ill. Anything that goes to the back of my throat can cause a gagging reflex, especially the gel they use on impressions because it tastes horrible. :\

Anyways, i need advice on how the stop worrying about them. The impressions i will hopefully be fine with if i just breathe in and out deeply through my nose so i dont feel sick, but the needles take a lot more effort to forget about. >.< Anybody got any tips on how to stop panicking about needles? I could really use them right now. :help:

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Silly question but as you said you rushed into this too quickly, can you hold off and reconsider? Do you really need this work doing?

Or is it too late for that now?

3. Grof142007

i always thought i was scared of needles till i got my rabies shot ( "10 shots" 4 at one time and 6 more once a week for 6 weeks) but my advice would be get over it. then again i never had a needle near my mouth. find courage.

4. Wired106

Omg that's the only fear that I have! I hate needles so much. like shots from the doctor and getting blood drawn. I literally almost pass out lol because I hate them so much. But what you got to do is not think about it even though its not as easy as it sounds haha. If your freaked out about needles in your arms like shots and getting your blood drawn though you should use LMX4, its some sort of anesthetic cream that you put on that numbs the spot you put it on. I use it everytime I have to get a shot lol haha. :slight_smile:

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well, I can totally relate Martin. I used to get quite a bit of anxiety going to the dentist. First I would focus on the outcome. Think of how pretty (or handsome, whatever you prefer) your smile is going to be when you are done!!! I always take a pain reliever (ibuprofin) before going to the dentist even for a cleaning. It helps with any discomfort and makes me relax more. Take some deep breaths before you go in. Some dentists offer headphones so you can listen to soothing music. Just try to stay as relaxed as possible and know that it will all be over with soon! This is stupid, but I actually think of people who have endured extreme amounts of pain or torture and lived to tell about it. LOL Then being in the dentists chair doesn't seem so awful. Know what I mean?

6. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's all private treatment. My dad has already paid £2500 of it which is just over half of the bill, so it's not something i can really delay on. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Besides, even if i delay i will still be in the same position whenever i try again. >.<

7. Zak

Zak

Martin, I'd luv to help ya, but all I can say is, I luv needels!!! There so fun....I luv getting shots...=)....just find some confidence.........face your fears or sumthing...come in chat tooo!

Face the needle fear, I faced my snake fear, and now I'm not afraid of them n e more.

8. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

You know there are people in Africa or something that have to stick their hand in a glove of ants like 20 times for 10 minutes at a time in order to be considered a man. The ants are sewn into the glove and have the harshest, most painful bite among insects. All the men of this tribe found courage

Perhaps in your case you could act like you are being initiated into the coolest tribe in which everyone in it has to have needles stuck into their mouth before they join. Your family is proud of you and wishes you great success with the coolest tribe in town! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

9. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice so far peeps. Hopefully i will just be having impressions and x-rays done on Wednesday (as far as i know anyway), so it shouldn't be *that* bad. It will probably be next time i go that he wants to drill me and stab me with needles. :eek:

10. JSG

JSG Guest

The needles dentists use are tiny tiny ones, you won't even feel it, promise. You may feel the liquid he injects, kind of like pressure and that feeling won't really go away, but 100x less painful than when you smash your little pinky toe on the edge of something :icon_wink

11. TriBi

Dentist's needles can be painful - but usually only when you have a toothache/some sort of infection or inflammation in your mouth already. For cosmetic stuff they shouldn't be too bad.

My main hate with anaesthetics (any - not just dentist) is that I seem to have low tolerance to them - so a jab that should wear off an hour or so after the dental work usually sees me with a dead jaw (and potentially drooling like an idiot) for about 6 hours afterwards...

12. pirateninja

Just close your eyes and think of something else. Out of sight, out of mind. That's what I always do. The stuff they use isn't too painful, so as long as you focus on anything other than needles, you won't notice it.

13. panda

For me I find it's the anticipation of the pain. The actual needle isn't that bad. A dentist will squirt a bit of freezing on the gum before the needle.
    My last dental session started with me being rigid with fear holding onto the arms with superhuman strength.I had a lot of surgery. My dentist gave me some Valium sort of thing and I was much calmer. Deep breathing. Relaxing. It's really not all that bad, and in the end you'll have a beautiful smile.

14. Free

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a dental student so I'll pretend I know a bit about how you're feeling!:icon_bigg First off, tell your dentist that you're anxious! So many of my patients tell me they're scared after I've done the bad bits, and there's certain techniques the dentist can use to make everything a lot more pleasant. Tell your dentist you want him to inject slowly - you're thinking "but I want it over as soon as possible!:icon_sad: ", but it's a lot more comfortable and effective if done slowly, and if you don't ask they WILL just fire it all in asap! Also make sure the dentist uses something called topical anaesthetic, it makes your mouth feel all tingly and you won't feel the needle go in (ignore the haters, the flavours are brilliant, bubblegum is awesome!:grin:).

I know it's so hard to focus on keeping calm when something you're terrified of is about to happen, but try your best. Take nice, deep breaths and your body will automatically relax. Keep your jaw and neck as slack as possible. Try not to look at what the dentist is doing, keep your eyes on something else, the ceiling, light, whatever.

The anticipation is much worse than actually having it done, to learn we had to practice on each other and I'd never had a dental injection before!:frowning2: It's even worse when you know the person giving it has never done it before so at least you'll have a dentist who's done it a couple of thousand times already:slight_smile:. I'm sure you'll be fine, and feeling a bit silly afterwards because you thought it was going to be much worse!

Also, I disapprove of the thread title. I'm not evil...well, I don't think I am :icon_twis

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Dentists and lawyers.....they both get a bad rap. :slight_smile:

16. panda

But lawyers deserve it. My lawyer for my DUI got $5.000 for showing up for 1/2 an hour.

17. sdc91

When I had my teeth extracted, I had quite a few shots in my mouth. Usually they put some topical anesthetic so it doesn't hurt. You don't feel anything at all, it just feels really puffy.

18. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm back. :grin:

I had my impressions which weren't so bad. The radio was on in the room and the Scissor Sisters were playing (Yays :grin:) so they kept me well. :wink:

On a less happy note, i have to go back on monday for injections and to have a gum lift. :tears: I don't know what it is exactly, but all i know is it involves an injection and some cutting of the gum. :help:

It sounds uber scary. :tears:

19. panda

Don't worry. You won't feel a thing. Deep breathing. Relax..

20. JSG

JSG Guest

Here Martin !
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBqY6cJD3CE[/YOUTUBE]