1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

relationships without sex

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by yes, Dec 7, 2012.

1. yes

yes

hello everyone,

for various reasons i don't want to mix sex and love, maybe at some point later but not now. i'm not asexual, i just don't want these two things from the same person. so i've just been thinking i can't have a relationship as many people my age (late teens early twenties) seem to have relationships mainly cause they want sex. so i'm just asking you guys, what's your experience with this? have you ever come across someone who wants a relationship without sex? do you think there's even a remote chance i will? so far i've kept out of serious relationships but it's really getting to me. any answers apprechiated!

2. i dont really have mcuh advice but heres a hug (*hug*)

most people my age do want sex, but i dont so i just avoid relationships mostly. i know good women who will wait do exist, but i just havent found any yet. or there are the girls who say they will wait but when in a relationship they really cant. its too much hassle for me right now lol.

when i have got into relationships (but not proper ones) and a few months down the line a girl has been talking about sex i have flat out said, well youre gunna have to wait because im not ready yet..... if they push and push then i just end it. which consequently made me single XD

good people who will wait do exist. its finding them that is tricky though.

3. yes

yes

thanks for your reply flyinhernikes. hugs back

sorry to hear you've tried but with no success. did you always manage to stand your ground? i'm thinking, as i'm not asexual and i apprechiate sex just not in a relationship, that i would end up sleeping with my partner when drunk or something and then regret it terribly... so i haven't got into a relationship at all.

let's hope the wonderful and perfect, not-desperate-to-go-to-bed people come our way soon lol!

4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If your partner doesn't respect your boundaries, it's better to be single.

I learned that the hard way, but guess what? I'm single and I'm ok with it because its better than being in a lame relationship. :thumbsup:

5. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your Partner is suppose to be helpful and supportive with your decisions. If they don't respect, I would rather be single, like what myheartincheck said...

6. yes

yes

yeah that's why i've never had a serious relationship. i want one though, and it seems really hard to get, as i'm like this..

7. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thats because you want quality not quantity! :grin: Anyone can have a lame ass relationship, but you know you deserve better! Good for you! :thumbsup:

8. Zontar

So you want a relationship without sex but you want the sex to come from elsewhere? I would probably investigate why you're thinking like this before you do any dating.

9. While I would like relationships to have an aspect of sex if my boyfriend said he wasn't ready or didn't want to I'd TOTALLY understand and would wait as long as he needed to for him to be comfortable. So you know maybe it's just a matter of asking.

10. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm completely honest, unless you find someone who is asexual, I'd say it's very hard to find someone who'd be okay with having no prospect of any form of sexual intimacy whatsoever. I'm sure you'd be able to find people who are willing to wait, but if you have no intention of ever getting sexual with him or her, that would honestly be a no for me.

I don't know if this is about you not wanting do anything sexual with guys or girls, but I think it's safe to assume this has something to do with you still questioning? If so, then I think you should work on that first before entering a relationship. As a matter of fact, even if that's not the reason, it's still a good idea to find out why you don't want sex and love from the same person, like Zontar said.

11. Zaio

Zaio Guest

This.

12. BudderMC

I think this is a very good point. Why exactly don't you want to mix sex and love?

13. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow I thought I was totally alone in this. I also want to wait to have sex. For me a relationship is more about having a connection with someone and not just screwing around. I have to trust someone enough before I can have sex with them, and honestly I just don't feel comfortable. The fact that others are saying the same as me proves that you can probably find someone who will be fine with a nonsexual relationship.

14. Equalist

Equalist Guest

I'm weird and don't want full-on sex either. However, I feel that I want a serious relationship as well, and I haven't even been in one before. Not to mention, I'm not even out to anybody, LOL. My situation is just a mess, really. Maybe one day, the perfect person will come along and magically understand me and everything will work out.

BUT, that doesn't seem likely to happen, LOL.

15. teluphone

Wow I thought I was a lone wolf on this matter too. It's so really hard to find mr. Right in this world it seems like almost no one wants to have a serious relationship anymore rather they prefer something sexual every time. I always have a fear I'll end up a virgin for life because of my constant need to find somethig serious and it just builds up my fear of dying alone

16. yes

yes

it's not that i want a serious relationship and then sex with someone else - if i was in a relationship i'd be happy not to sleep with anyone. i'm not questioning my sexuality either, i know i like guys and girl but more often guys than girls, but there are several reasons as to why i don't want sex in an emotionally intimate relationship. i might change my mind at some point, as some of you say - just wait a while but i'm not sure. i just really want the emotional closeness...

17. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know... I think that it's not too unreasonable to not want to jump into sex immediately. Especially in a first relationship, it's often better to take it carefully and one step at a time and not feel pressed to rush forward.

I definitely don't intend on having sex with someone I don't feel I know very well and who I don't feel comfortable with either. Anyone insisting to rush forward is more likely than not to meet with a no.

And I do think there are people out there who think likewise. Who want to take their time to get to know each other, until sex is just the logical next step to take.

On the other hand: I do think there's no real need to think of sex as something totally different from emotional closeness. It's not as if people are emotionally close when they're hugging in the sofa, and then utterly perverting themselves when they move from the sofa to the bedchamber.
    For many, it is just the next step. you feel emotionally close to spend a lot of time together first, then you want to hold hands, then you like to hug, then you like to kiss... and all of those are just signs of the emotional closeness increasing. And at some point, making it physical is very much a sign of expressing your love too.

I'll agree that some people end up thinking that by rushing to the sex they can short-circuit the emotional closeness; Or that they might just not bother with the emotional closeness and just get a night of sex out of it. But that says more about their attitude to sex than it does about sex itself. It's the attitude, more than what exactly you are doing, that counts.

Last but not least: I don't believe in relationships that start off with just a big list of taboos. You can say "no sex before I feel ready for it", and there will definitely be people who are perfectly find with that. But do also remember to mainly focus on what you DO want to do, and use that as a guideline to have fun and develop an emotional bond!

18. blikeo

This may sound negative, but I look at it as a chore to make my partner happy. I don't particularly enjoy it, but she does, so i do it anyway. It's kind of one of those things, where you do it because you love them.

Luckily, she understands my sexuality, and never had a high libido anyway.

But, If a person you are interested in can't wait, then they aren't worth seeing.

#18 blikeo, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  19. yes

yes

thanks for the advice guys :slight_smile: