1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My girlfriend is bad at gift-giving >.<

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by oblina, Dec 7, 2012.

1. oblina

So in my girlfriend's family christmas lists work like this : They make a list, including web links, and she orders it online with her moms credit card.

There is no thought involved! It is basically a shopping spree. I come from a low-class family where you don't ask for specific things because of money issues, and I don't usually ask for anything at all. I usually dont get gifts I like, and that's how christmas has always been.

But i always enjoy coming up with gifts for the people I love that are specific to them and i know they will love. My gifts for her have to do with a cartoon that we watch together and love, and a couple other things.

She is at a bookstore and just asked me if a book is okay.
    I want a gift that she picked out for me and is a surprise, not a gift that she asks me if I want. For some reason this breaks my heart.

How should I handle this?

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just tell her you love surprises and well thought out gifts. ^_^ I'm sure she would understand. I'm the same as you... I get joy from thinking up gifts one of my buddies would absolutely love based on their hobbies or interests. :3

3. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would maybe hint at one of her friends that you have list(A short list that what you want). And have her friend go shopping with her help her pick it out.

~Josie

4. MixedNutz

I hate buying things people won't want or use.

What me and the bf did was we went on amazon and made wish lists. From things that cost 5 dollars to things that cost 100. With that everything is always something picked out and what we do want, but it's always a suprise as to what we will get.