1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relationship Confusion

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Write Away, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Write Away

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I broke up with my last boyfriend in early October, around the time I started to notice this other guy. In late October, I started hanging out a lot with the guy, and he broke up with his boyfriend in mid-October, after his boyfriend cheated on him. Then in mid-November, I started dating this guy. It had been going extremely well until a few day ago. He told me he thought we should take a break because he was beginning to realize that he still loves his ex.

I mean, I understand that it takes longer for some people to get over relationships than others. I'm not mad at him for that. I just feel kind of confused in the situation. The fact that he said he still "loves" his ex rather than just "having feelings" makes me feel a lot more uncomfortable. In addition, I have no idea how long it is going to take for him to be over his ex. I'm starting to wonder whether or not I should just try and get over my feelings for him and move on, or if I should just wait for him. We have a lot of similar friends and we spend a lot of time together, both with and without our mutual friends. Right now it's hard for me to be both with him and without him. I think about him a lot when I'm not with him (hence this post), and when I'm with him, the relationship we had is always in the back of my mind.

I'm also trying to decide whether or not I should hang out with him as much or try to avoid him. I don't know what's best for me or us.

I know this all is basically just something I have to think about and make a decision. But I'm just wondering what you all think and what you might do in the situation. Normally I would move on, but he's a great guy, and that just makes it all harder.

Would you try and get over him, or wait? Would you continue to spend time with him, or stop?

Thank you all for your help!

2. it sounds like you both hardly any time at all to get over anyone, i think you honestly both need to be alone and get your thoughts together.

he was honest with you and that was the best thing for both of you, i think you should keep your distance as you want a relationship with him and he still isnt over his ex. both of those dont work well together at all as you both want different things. you can keep in contact but not regularly, but if you do keep in contact you will be reminded of what you want all over again.

plenty other guys out there for you. some people take years to get over someone, you shouldnt have to wait for him and he shouldnt expect you to.