1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay bar/club? Should I?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zec24, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Zec24

I got an invite to go to a gay bar/club this coming weekend with a friend I'm newly out to and my former roommate. I trust these girls since I know them pretty well and they promise me they'll make sure I feel comfortable, but...

This would be a big step for me. Aside from going to a Gay Women's discussion group, I've never done anything remotely this out there (so to speak). I guess I'm just nervous and worried I won't be able to relax and enjoy it.

Any suggestions on how I might relax and have fun with this if I do go? Anyone have any first time stories they can share?

2. Luroon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now I don't know what your past club experience is like, but the only difference between a gay club and any other is that there are more gay people. If anything, being at ease should be natural considering that you will be around people that will not judge you. Just be chill and go with the flow.

3. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Here in Pittsburgh theres a HUGE difference between a club and a gay club. I can dance with pretty much any guy/girl in there, as opposed to being at a normal club looking for women to dance with and not having any luck -_- Pegasus is insane!

4. Astaroth

Go! You'll never know if you like it until you try! I was in the same boat a few weeks ago and it turned out great. If you find that you're not comfortable there after a few minutes, just discretely let your friends know you'd like to leave, and I'm sure they'll be happy to think up some excuse so you all go together. But I think you'll have a wonderful time! Enjoy. :thumbsup:

5. Jim1454

Go!!! I went to a gay night club 6 weeks ago for the first time. I wanted to go, but fully expected to feel like a duck out of water - being 'older' and pretty 'square'. But I had a GREAT TIME! The music was right up my alley and the crowd was really mixed. It was a really ecclectic group with one thing in common - they were all gay. It was really cool. There wasn't anything weird going on - just a whole bunch of people having a great time.

I've been back since, and will definitely go again some time. It was great. I'll likely hit a couple of bars this Friday night. I think one has a 'best chest' contest... I'll be watching, not entering.

6. Astaroth

I dare you to! :wink:

7. sexyalex

umm...i would agree with Nicvicer about the diffrent between the two clubs. i have never been to one but i go to regular clubs very.....regular. well not really but like once per month.

u would be more comfortable knowing ur sexuality and have more fun. personally dancing with others is not a problem for me cuz i always dance alone. habbit....:dry:

(lies i just love attention)

8. CrimsonThunder

Gay clubs are pretty scary. =P But after a few drinks its ok.

9. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most definitely go!! You're about to get what I've been dreaming of for ages!! I'd love to have some hot chicks to dance with. *daydreams* Have fun!!

10. Alexander

You definitely should go. Clubbing is velly velly fun :grin:

11. Jim1454

No they aren't! Not the one I went to anyway...

12. CrimsonThunder

The one I went too was. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Ty

Ty Guest

I've been to a gay pubbbbbbb before ~ which is practically the same (I think =s) and it was Phun ^_^ although I really didnt know what to expect lol.

14. Zec24

Well, I'm going. I just talked to my friend again today. I'm still pretty nervous, I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm not much of a club person, so we'll see how this goes. I don't like to dance unless I'm only around friends, I dance like the awkward white girl I am.

I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get back.

15. iPieman

If you've had no experience in a club/bar before they can be a bit daunting. The first nightclub I ever went to was G-A-Y in London and I was a bit overwhelmed.

I've been to loads since and it gets more and more fun every time.

Go for it!

16. acorn7

Good luck... I should be in one for my very first time *right now*, but the girl that was supposed to go with me and another mutual gay friend couldn't at the last minute.

And yeah, I'm 16... we'll find a way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Zec24

So, at the urging of you crazy ECers I gathered my courage and went to the gay bar/nightclub place.

IT WAS AWESOME.

My friends said I did better than they did during their first time at a gay bar/club. Apparently I wasn't too awkward or stand-offish, nor did I freak out at the thought of being fresh meat. Then again I had a good group of girls that took me out, so it was easy to relax and have fun.

I got to dance with this girl. I had to convince her to dance, she kept saying maybe later, but I said well why not now? Even though we danced for all of 5 minutes, it was still good. She wasn't really my type, but just getting the experience was good, I've never been so forward with someone.

She kept saying she couldn't dance well and that this wasn't her type of music. I just looked at her and laughed and reminded her she was dancing with the ultimate white girl. I can't dance for anything either, but apparently that doesn't really matter as long as you're moving and having fun!

Anyways, it was a huge relief to finally let my eyes roam freely and to openly stare at other girls. It was also great to not have to fend off creepy 30yr old guys (no offense men), or men old enough to be my father, or well, any boys for that matter.

18. panda

Glad you had a good time.:thumbsup:

19. Jim1454

Yay! Good for you! We're not as crazy as you thought we were, are we?!?

I was out again this past Friday night. My bf and I had a really great time. All 3 of the gay bars we went to had female impersonators / cross dressers performing. When I was out the first time, it kind of freaked me out. But now I just find it entertaining. Some of them are really good / funny, while others are just scary to look at! :eek:

And good for you - actually inviting someone to dance with you! That's very cool.

It's not so much to meet people - as I'm seeing someone. It's just cool to be in a huge room full of people and know that EVERYONE there is either gay or accepting of gays - and I can be free to be myself.

So to everyone else... don't knock it until you've tried it! :eusa_danc