1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Band

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Olli, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Olli

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys,
    Two things. Firstly, and less seriously. After sort of accepting myself and coming out to a few people this year, I feel quite immature in a way. Like I'm 10 or 11 when the concept of dating is first introduced to you. I've been looking at a lot of boys in that sort of young, admiring way as if the sexual side to life was new to me along with accepting my homosexuality. Did anyone else feel like this?

Second. I am a huge rock and metal fan and I am the frontman of a rock band. Now all the members are lovely and we're all great friends. None of them are homophobic or anything, I just have this worry that it will be awkward in rehearsals as they're all quite straight (ie. talking about girls a lot) etc. Anyone have any advice or gone through anything similar?

Olli

2. LOL oh yeah, I DEFINITELY did the same thing you did once I accepted myself. xD perfectly normal!

and secondly, that really shouldn't be a big deal. you dont always have to be participating in an amusing conversation by agreeing with people. or just dont bother. whatever you want to do!

3. BudderMC

Regarding your friends, if they're not homophobic and you're good friends with them, I wouldn't have much to worry about. The thing is, if they don't have a predisposition (good or bad) towards LGBT people, they're going to follow your lead on it. So when you come out to them, just make sure you tell them and act like it's "no big deal", and they'll follow suit. The more of a lighthearted topic you treat it, the less of an issue it'll be.

I've had a few straight guys who talked about girls a fair bit around me. It never really got directed towards me, though. Anyways, when I came out to them, not much has changed. They still talk about how they're crushing on girls - I just compare with guys. There's often gay jokes made at my expense, but I know it's all in good fun. Needless to say they're really supportive. If anything it brought us closer.

4. FishMan27

Yep, currently going through this.