1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parent/Religion Issues

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lostinthought9, Feb 18, 2008.

1. lostinthought9

alright guys, i really need your help/support on this one....

i just got into another arguement with my parents about religion, to make a long story short-i dont believe in everything that the catholic church believes in, and i don't believe in everything that my parents believe in, so they think im an atheist or w/e--so yea....i was almost in tears earlier thinking about it, not about them disagreeing with my beliefs, but as to what they might do/say/think about/to me if i ever told them about my sexuality, and you know what? it scares the living hell outta me, not knowing how they will react, physically i can take care of myself, but emotionally and mentally-i will break down....i just dont know what to do....i know nobody on here can help, but if anybody has any advice on what i just said, please let me know...

2. Brett

Well first of all, what was the issue that you were debating? Was it something about homosexuality or just something else? And secondly, maybe you would condider joining ine of the less strict forms of Catholicism such as, I believe, Presbityrian or Piscipalian churches. I forget which it is, but one of those two is like a Catholic church....only more accepting, and a lot more lenient.
    I hope I helped (or was at least not wrong about what I said) :icon_bigg

3. lostinthought9

idk i guess i just needed to get that off my chest, my main concern is...if they're freaking out now, how will they react once they found out about me not being straight....so yea, and another thing, i quit the catholic church so i could become non denomination, no offense to anyone, but i wanna believe in what i think is true, not what someone tells me is real/true or w/e...kno what i mean??

4. Brett

Well now that my mom knows, she's trying to get me to go to a youth group. She says that she just wants me to go to heaven, but she never really cared untill today......:dry:

And yeah, non-denominational is probably one of the best ways to go as far as Christianity is concerned. The only thing is that there tend to be quite a few unaccepting hypocrites, dependening on where you live.

5. violinguy92

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I'm in the same boat as you. I go to a catholic school though. My parents are not really committed to any religion. And I turned out atheist.

Why? because I was created 'wrong' by religious standards. That doesnt work for me.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You have to remember their beliefs are deep-rooted. They pull at everything they can dig up to support their own biases and prejudices against gay people. Even if they are not that committed to their religion. You just have to be strong and when they say something just be prepared to give them something to think about. When my Dad told me I was going to hell, I told him that I refused to believe in a God who would create somebody gay and then send them to hell for having a loving relationship. That was absolutely NOT a God of love. You may have to keep saying it over and over again. It will give them something to think about.

7. Bader

Bader Guest

Oh wow ! i totally agree with Becky

8. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

totally agree
    just keep trying to bury it in their minds and hopefully it will work

9. violinguy92

Out Status:
    Some people
    VERY well said! I couldn't agree more!

10. lostinthought9

thanks becky....the thing is, i DO believe in God, just not everything that the catholic church teaches, and what the bible says....does that make me an atheist?? and thanks again, you always know the rights things to say...

11. biisme

just because you don't believe in god the way they do, doesn't mean you are an atheist.

12. Bader

Bader Guest

i dont know if this is correct but if u believe in a god/something created us but dont follow any of those religons, that makes u agnostic.

13. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lostinthought9, I know exactly what you mean. I'm also catholic, and I believe in God, but not in any of the teachings. I just go by my own beliefs, so I'm not atheist, and nor are you. I'd definitely listen to becky's advice. I hope all goes well.

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Athiests don't believe in God at all so no you are not an athiest. (But if you were, its okay with me!) You can always point out things in the Bible that are not followed anymore or that scientists have proven untrue.

15. Astaroth

Well, I'm not sure what you could call yourself per se, but you're not athiest. As people above have stated, an atheist doesn't not believe in a god or anything spiritual. An agnostic doesn't have full belief in anything either, but they also don't disbelieve that spiritual things are possible. They're open to the possibility. But you don't sound like either of those things. You just sound like a Catholic. :icon_bigg Just because you don't follow along like a sheep does not mean that you can't be part of that religion. Thinking outside the box is a good thing in religion, at least in my opinion.