1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward conversation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mlpguy88, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Today I was with my parents to celebrate my brother-in-law's birthday. We decided that we would all meet and spend the day together, plus get some shopping done for the holiday's too. I was with my parents in the car because we were waiting for my sister and brother-in-law to show up where we were meeting and I had a very awkward moment with my parents. My mom was telling me about a women she works with who is a lesbian.

The conversation:

Mom: She introduced me to her, uh, women, and she introduced her as her wife. If she identified her as the wife that would make her the husband wouldn't it?

Me: No, she would be her wife too.

Mom: I wouldn't actually say anything because I might say the wrong thing, but if one of them is the wife then the other is the husband.

Dad: That is how I have always seen it.

Me: No, they would both be the wife.

I don't know why this has lingered in my mind all day, maybe because my brother-in-law does gay bashing on a regular basis, so I heard that afterward too. But I still feel like I made a mistake by saying that. Did I do something bad?

2. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What would you have done wrong? I see nothing wrong with this at all. You were polite, but you made an important point...that marriage doesn't have to fit the normal sterotypes...meaning a "husband" and a "wife." I wouldn't worry about it. :slight_smile:

3. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like I should have said nothing, probably my in the closet complex or something but I feel like I made the wrong decision.

4. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would have thought the same thing for years and would have avoided the conversation - as soon as you make a comment in that direction you're afraid you've given away hints, afraid that the next reply is gonna be "the big question" or some derivative. Fortunately many straight people are too oblivious to read anything into it :wink:.

5. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No you didn't say anything wrong. They needed to be corrected on their wrong views.

6. PinkTractor

You did nothing wrong, and said nothing that any reasonably politically and socially aware person of your generation couldn't have said, no matter their orientation.

7. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess that makes sense. But is it possible that I put my foot in my mouth? I have given up wanting to tell them, I feel like I have really made a mistake.