1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BORN vs CHOICE

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fate, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So just browsing the site, most if not everyone says that being gay, lesbian, bi, trans, etc. was not a choice but rather being born that way... I've known a lot of gay/lesbians/bi's and most say they were just born that way and others say it was a choice...

I guess I am curious as to know why someone would consider themselves born gay/lesbian while another would consider it a choice...

does that make sense?

2. Deaf Not Blind

from what i have read others saying many felt homosexual feelings of some nature at a very young age, so figure it must be part of the package.
    and others said they were contentedly straight...until one day somebody kissed them and they began to feel stuff and fell in love and decided it was ok to be gay.
    while others say they can choose to act upon their wants or choose to not...as in cases where they got married already and figured out they were gay later and choose to not divorce, because they do love their spouse and family, so they choose to not seek a more natural gay partner for their reasons.

that is what i have seen others say.

3. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Why would anybody choose to be LGBT? Why would someone choose to have to deal with all of the crap that society puts us through, and to be ostracized from friends and family? Most of us did everything possible to convice ourselves that we weren't gay. There are kids who took thier own lives because they didn't want to be gay. The people who believe it was a choice are straight people who have no idea what's its like to be LGBT.

4. 341

341 Guest

I chose to be gay today, I think I'll be straight tomorrow; I think I''ll also choose to be a little bit taller...

5. Deaf Not Blind

Bahaha! I just had a funny thought: Be Straight Day! All gays worldwide, fully out and flamers too, act totally straight that day, but all straights have to leave them alone the other 364 days of the year. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Be GAY Day would be funny too.

6. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

That sounds like a great idea. We should get someone on that right now...

7. PinkTractor

Strident, I want to very gently disagree. Those of us who believe it is a choice (for us personally!!! Not for everyone!!!) may be an extreme minority but we do exist. I had no feelings of same-sex attraction until I was 45 years old. No doubts at all that I was straight. Then I met one specific woman, and it all changed. I choose to lose my "straight privilege" in order to be in some sort of a relationship with her, and no, it isn't easy. I will stay with her as long as she will have me. If things were to end with her, I would choose to go back to heterosexual relationships, because all things being equal, it is much simpler and infinitely easier.
    For a few of us, the choice lies in the fact that we can make it work with either gender, and so we can choose what gender to pursue relationships with. I think we are the very lucky ones.

8. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing I could think is if they were confused. If they were telling themselves it was their choice maybe as a coping type of thing. I don't know...

lol, point taken

hmmm, so question, you felt strong feelings for her, so were those feelings a choice?

9. Deaf Not Blind

^ this is what i was saying. I read abt a guy did similar thing. if you love a soul, you can choose to love the person no matter what the body. i think I'm mostly straight but a bit bi, cuz i like a guy. i think some are straight but find one person who is special that they will opt to be gay with because they are worth it.

10. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmm, okay I see what your saying...

11. PinkTractor

I think DeafNotBlind summed it up perfectly--it can be one *specific* person who can cause feelings powerful enough to make someone choose to enter a same sex relationship.

Fate,
    For me, yes, it was a choice. The feelings I had for her were very powerful, but I could have chosen to not act on them, and not had the fear that I would be alone for the rest of my life. I have no idea what your age is, but given the average age of most members here, I have possibly been in relationships with men for longer than you have been alive. To suddenly be in a same sex relationship was such a vast, life altering change that it had to be a conscious choice, in order to accept the consequences of it, and go in with my eyes open.
    If I can ask, are you trying to determine if you have a choice to make for yourself?

12. Zontar

To imply that it's a choice also implies that, under conventional understanding of sexuality, that everyone is inherently bisexual and that you "go with" one or the other. Would you agree this is the case? Not skeptically questioning or anything, I've suspected this same thing given what I've seen.

13. Mogget

There's a movement within feminism called political lesbianism, which posits that women of all orientations should seek out only female partners for their romantic and sexual relationships. This is because they perceive such a huge imbalance between men and women that they don't believe an equal partnership is possible.

More generally, early in the history of the queer movement, the idea that it was a choice was quite popular, a lot of people felt like embracing an alternative sexuality was an act of defiance against and liberation from oppressive gender roles.

14. castle walls

Usually when I read an individual describing that it is a choice that they made, they are promoting the idea of innate bisexuality but state that they themselves strongly prefer the opposite gender. People that promote innate bisexuality often cite Kinsey and/or Freud.

Personally, I was born with feelings for people regardless of their gender. There are several theories about why someone is LGB and no one knows for sure what causes people to be LGB but the general consensus as of right now seems to be that it is based on a combination of genetic and environmental factors. I tend to agree with the following website.

This website
    has a lot about orientation

15. Meropspusillus

I think a lot of the more sciency stuff done around homosexuality implies that homosexuality isn't a choice. Our brains seems to be wired a bit differently than those of heterosexual peoples. I certainly never remembered choosing my sexuality. Some people might insist its a choice, and if it is for them, then that's great: I'm glad they make awesome choices. I just didn't choose anything.

16. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i like that theory, but it is probably wrong

17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that I was born this way. I've always remembered being different from other people. In fact, one teacher called my parents because they were concerned with how masculine I am. I also always remember connecting better as friends with guys. I am romantically attracted to women.

18. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is more of just a curiosity behind the mindset, why one would figure it a choice and another a genetic aspect. Curiosity, my worst enemy sometimes >.<

I will not lie, it has crossed my mind a time or two...
    My first feeling of love was for a friend of mine, his personality just took me in... His smile would brighten my day, even when I think about him now my heart aces to know we can't be together. (he found someone else)
    But I also felt similar feelings for an ex co-worker of mine. Something about her. I couldn't help but smile when I was around her. We'd always exchange glances and she just had this glow. (she is a lesbian)
    So yeah I question myself but this question is more of just curiosity...

19. Yuliya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The only answer on such question for me is I choosed to be born as gay person.
    Because feelings is part of our nature so we were born with them but actions is part of behavior and education that's why I can't devide my soul from my mind

20. Niko

Well you do realize that usually the people who are saying it's a choice are close minded heterosexuals.
    Curiosity is different than choosing. Choosing just means everyone can be gay or straight; and you can just wake up one morning saying "I think I'll be gay today...or perhaps trans or maybe just stay straight...hmmm...decisions, decisions." And well, if that were the case then homosexuals proooobably wouldn't be saying they were born that way.
    Curiosity is just well..curiosity. Bicurious people are just people who show some curiosity towards what it'd be like to have a relationship with the sex they do not favor. They can be gay or straight and they're not bisexuals either.