1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

meeting his parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hoping, Feb 19, 2008.

1. hoping

i really like this guy and he and i really want to start dating and he said he wants to introduce me to his parents. i will b the first guys hes brought home and i guess im just really nervous about meeting them like i want to make a really great impression cause this guy is really great and i want to get them to know that i will treat their son right and that i do care about him. any advice would b greatly appreciated

2. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be yourself, that's the most important thing. His family should like you for who you are, not for who they want you to be, so definitely don't pretend anything.

3. Leigh

Leigh Guest

yeah just be yourself.
    i think you'd be a bit stupid if you werent nervous, but he wants to introduce you so he must think itll be ok.
    good luck!!

4. Louise

Be natural, be yourself, if you feel nervous you can even admit it to his parents. If you act all cool and indiffrent to this very stressful situation his parents might wonder what kind of person you are. If you say that you are really pleased to meet them but really nervous if you giggle too much or talk too much or whatever they will readily put it down to nerves and not judge you too harshly.

Don't forget if this is the first time he has bought a boy home his parents will undoubtedly be as nervous as you so don't you judge them too harshly either if his mother witters on about stupid things or his dad is distant for example.

It takes a good few visits before things calm down and you and they will feel comfortable and the real you shines through. Good luck :thumbsup:

5. CelebrityHead

Hey mate,

That's great! I don't think the nerves will bother your [prospective?] boyfriend's parents. I'm sure that anyone meeting their significant other's parents would be nervous, regardless of gender or orientation.

Like others have said, just being yourself would be the best thing to do. You'd feel much more comfortable and the parents will be able to meet the real you. Also, does every 'meet the parents' situation have to be like a FBI interrogation? Don't stress - the parents could be really easy going!

Good Luck!

6. CrimsonThunder

Make sure you smile lots. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And good luck!

7. violinguy92

Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course, be your self! Dress nice, be on your best behavior! (I sound like my mother...)

And most of all, good luck!

8. TriBi

Ha - It always amazes me just how good at giving advice straight Mums can be.

Listen to Louise - I think she nailed it...:grin: