1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seriously struggle to say the two words!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GayforGuys, Dec 9, 2012.

1. GayforGuys

Hey guys, so there have been quite a few times where I've had the perfect chance to tell my friends I'm gay, but I chicken out every single time!! And it is seriously starting to get to me. Mentally I'm all ready, I'm very comfortable with myself and just wanna be honest with people. I have a very good friend who is Gay and came out to our group of friends and everything went great. They were all so accepting and generally 'meh' about it. On top of that, my friend has hinted on more than one occasion that he knows. One example of having the opportunity was when, I was talking to my friend - the one that has hinted he knows - about another friend of ours that was bisexual, it was like the perfect chance, I chickened out and changed the topic :bang:

I've been thinking about it lately and decided that the new year would be a great time to FINALLY do it! What a better way to start the year :slight_smile:

But yeah, I really need some advice on how to say it, what to actually say and just generally how to approach it and bring it up in conversation in the first place :dry:

I know most people would be nervous regardless of the situation anyway :help:

#1 GayforGuys, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. EarthBound

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First off, I know you are not alone in your struggle to say the sentence (it's hard for me too!).

I'm glad that your friends were so receptive and accepting of your very good friend coming out to them. I would say to try and harness that energy, their acceptance, as a catapult to help propel you toward your end goal. As you mentioned, you just want to be honest with them so I think that might be a great way to preface telling them. Maybe: "Hey guys, since we are goods friends I just want to be honest and let you all know I'm gay." Or something along those lines...

I know it is easier said than done. I planned various ways I was going to tell my roommate this year and all my plans completely fell apart. It might not have been how I wanted it to go, but in the end "I'm gay" came out and that was all that I could ask for. I think my biggest problem my biggest problem was that I put so much hype behind telling him that I sort of froze when the time actually came.

So take a deep breath and calm your mind. I am sure the opportunity will present itself. Even if you don't tell them how you planned it the biggest thing is it will now be out there :slight_smile:

3. GayforGuys

Thanks man! definitely gonna take your advice on the whole, harness the energy of them being very accepting and just come out with it(pun intended (!))
    Looking at it logically, i have a friend who is Bisexual and a friend who is Gay, yet I somehow insist on staying in the closet.

4. EarthBound

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :lol:

I know for me personally I don't believe I should have to take billboards out to proclaim my sexual orientation. It is just one piece of a much larger puzzle of who I am; yet, I also want people to know (especially my good friends and family). I think it will become easier to say "I'm gay" as time progresses with each subsequent friend or family member I tell and perhaps the same will apply to you. Even if you pause or hesitate while telling your friends they may help you finish what you started, especially if one of your friends has hinted he knows.

5. GayforGuys

"Finish what you started" love that :grin: simple..but made me laugh like a madman at 2 in the morning hahaha
    If you don't mind me asking what happened when you came out to people(going by your earlier post, I assumed you had to some people? :confused:)

6. EarthBound

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have been fortunate so far. The few people that I have told have all been accepting of who I am. Aside from my roommate and parents, I sort of knew (hoped) that they would be extremely supportive. I decided to tell my roommate because I didn't want to lie about where I was going (i.e. lgbt school organization). I felt by remaining in the closet to my roommate I was not affirming myself.

Also, I don't think I put anything in my post that you could turn into a joke :slight_smile:

#6 EarthBound, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012