1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out advice for transgenders

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by darkprincess, Dec 10, 2012.

1. darkprincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi, I'm a transsexual and I have been feeling really down lately, I haven't told anyone I'm transsexual except for the online community and a school counsellor. But from there I am stumped. I really want to tell my friends but I don't want to hurt them or just dump it on them in case they can't cope. I don't know if they will be accepting or not but I know I need to tell them. I am alright at writing and whatnot but I think the best way for me would be to tell them in person or online via social networking or text. Can someone help me with:
    •what to say
    •how to say it
    •things to include
    •things not to include
    •how many people to say it to
    •what types of people not to say it to (I mean like people who are in a tough time, or people who are shy)
    I may think of more to add and it would be great if you could help:icon_bigg
    And I hope this will also help others like me.

2. Deaf Not Blind

hmm.. i didn't think all that
    it just sorta began with a friend of a friend who was a lesbian on fb asking me if i was gay cuz she saw something not straight in my eyes. so i said don't tell our friends but I'm transgender! I'm a guy! and even though she lives near san francisco and is an out lesbian was clueless! she said "don't be complicated just be a lesbian!" :confused:

so next person was my original planned 1st person, my best gay guy friend, who is like my bro. he was honored to be 2nd, and i told him cuz me and that chick discussed dating.

i didn't do anymore ,except to perv guys to let them know they seem gay to me, until i went away to college, where i came out eventually to entire classes during speeches!who knew! i had planned to keep my closet warm, but it got clothes now.

i head home in 6 days. I'm out here and living male, and home I'm "female?" :confused:
    so i need to come out now at home. scary scary!

so fb worked for some, long distances and to begin, and face to face once i got the ball rolling. it strangely gets easier.

id say who do you think will support you and be a cheering squad? tell them 1st. then if you get heartbreak, you got friends to cry on.

best wishes!

3. darkprincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks, I haven't got any gay, lesbian or bi friends, I know a gay guy and he is a nice guy, I may tell him but I don't know him that well. I do know who I want to tell by the end though. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 10th Dec 2012 at 08:22 PM ----------

Also like above I want to come out to my parents as well, again like above tips and stratergies?

4. Deaf Not Blind

hmmm..um, im not the type that thinks it through, I'm the type who asks others too. :slight_smile:
    I'm sure another person can thnk of stuff.

say it how in the moment works for the situation if in person or private message.
    i said to my guy friend"theres something abt me u don't know. is there anything i can say that would make me lose you?" he told me nothing could make me and him stop being "brother and sister". i told him I'm transgender so um...brothers? i asked if he had noticed anything abt me too, as the girl saw it in just a photo. nope! he didn't know nothin.
    include truth...dont include long pages of stuff, keep it to the point, you can add more when they talk about it, just put in facts. but I'm a fact guy, so if you are not, just think what they need to know to feel not guilty and define transgender cuz many think it means gay.
    say it at 1st u to one person, then graduate to groups. fb out? I'm not there yet.
    don't say it to any person you think is a gossip, or bully! otherwise use personal discretion. my mom has mental illness bi polar so I'm cautious.

do i help at all?

5. darkprincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah thanks you've been great, I like the idea of asking them first if there is anything I can say that would lose them. Thanks *hugs*. And I hope this will be open to more ideas. :grin: