1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parenting LGBT

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MixedNutz, Dec 10, 2012.

1. MixedNutz

2. Greendalehumans

This is really good!

3. hey, i'm just curious, but is there any more psychological proof that male kids who consistently like social games and have more female friends end up gay?

i mean, don't take it the wrong way, i ended up following every psychological pattern the article mentioned (to an extent, sort of..) and ended up gay.

but i like..CANNOT understand why that would be so. there's incredibly manly men out there who DON'T follow these patterns at all and can end up incredibly gay (as in REALLY into men). why's that?

4. Interesting article. I did some of those things as a kid. I liked traditional "boy stuff" too, though. I knew some boys who closely followed the patterns mentioned and turned out gay.

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule. I know a guy that while openly gay played football as a kid and was generally accepted as "one of the guys." Gay guys tend to take dominant and submissive roles. I wonder if there is a correlation between behaviors as a child and turning out to be a "top or bottom".

5. LOL ^^^ very interesting...

and i say this because i was one of those "submissive social" boys who ended up gay and would seriously love to bottom.

6. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

I like this article. Alot of great info for parents. Many great points as well

7. FemCasanova

I think that when it comes down to it you can never tell if your child is or is not gay, because we are all so different. My little brother had a phase in which he liked to wear dresses. He also plays with dolls at times. However, his closest in age sibling is a girl, and they play together all the time, so no wonder he ends up playing with dolls. I think the most important part of that article was where she/he wrote about the parents pretending like there`s a gay person in the room, and don`t use gay and negatives in the same sentence as a general rule. If the parent shows that he/she is accepting and tolerant, the child will feel more free to express what he/she feels in the future. Key is for the parent to not be in panic :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Lol.. But no, it was a good article, very informative! Hope a lot of parents read it.

8. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is statistics, the psychologist was not claiming that if you like to dress up as a girl that you will be gay, she's saying there's a correlation between the two, and keep in mind the golden rule that "Correlation does not equal causation", she's also not saying that one causes the other. She is merely stating that children who often dress as the opposite sex tended to be more likely than those who do not, to turn out to be gay, based upon observations of probably a few hundred to a thousand children, sampled from various ethnicities and regions. All she's doing is describing the data, so even if you were a princess every halloween, it's not like you're guaranteed to be gay, or even really likely to be. It's just something that is connected to pre-homosexuality.

9. Oh, sorry. I guess I misread that then.

10. FemCasanova

Because, when it comes down to it, stereotypes are not the general rule, lol. We are all very different, we are all individuals. Some follow patterns, some don`t. I don`t know how much proof we can find, because there`ll always be someone who sticks out, who the proof does not apply to. It`d be like :bang:. I really do dislike stereotypes, I didn`t realize how much until now. Sexuality and gender identity and gender expression are really 3 different seperate things.

I look excessively feminine, I identify as a female, but I am sexually only interested in females. Other chicks might identify as female, express themselves (that is, talk and walk, etc) as if they identified as males, but be sexually attracted to females. Other again might identify as male, express themselves as females, but be attracted to both sexes. There are so many ways a person can be, feel and act, that putting people in boxes really isn`t that productive.

Some guys identify as males, express themselves in a feminine way, and be sexually attracted to men. Some guys identify as males, express them selves as male and still want to :***: other men.

It`s just the way it is :lol: And that`s (!)

11. yeah, i was aware of that XD

it's why i presented the concept of those really traditionally "manly male"-driven guys who end up being really gay that kind of threw a monkey wrench in the psychologist's whole theory or whatever.

but i should probably stop throwing around specific science term before someone calls me out again lol.

12. MixedNutz

I would find a study on at very interesting.

13. LiquidSwords

Yeah I was reading the article thinking that it doesn't sound like me as a kid at all. I used to get into trouble and fights all the time and I hardly had any girl friends, I was a bit of a jack the lad. I think 4AllEternity has called it though, it's just a presentation of statistics and I guess I'm an anomaly, although like you say there's got to be lots of gay guys who don't fit this description either.

Haha interesting! I'm still pretty masculine and I love playing rugby and stuff but I honestly think I'd rather bottom. I mean I can see myself enjoying either but the thought of being bottom is pretty damn sexy.

14. bebebe

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It makes me wonder though whether the stereotypes are constructed because gay men (or women), one their realize their minority attractions feel that they have to conform to that stereotype (ie: it molds their interests, mannerisms and social network rather than something internal guiding them to act in that manner).

15. MixedNutz

That could be the case, but that doesn't explain how younger children would follow the stereotypes without worldly knowledge of what they exactly are.