1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A certified doctor spreading falsehood? what to do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by aUniqueUserName, Dec 10, 2012.

1. aUniqueUserName

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So i am from southern Asia.. and the community here is not much open about sexuality..and by sexuality i mean any type of sexuality... in recent years a lot of things has changed and national news papers have started printing "Sex advise column" which answers any questions asked by people on the topic of sexuality. the person giving responses is a certified sexologist as they claim him to be... Few days back i came across a question in a column asked by a gay man who was feeling guilty for being gay in a very Conservative society... obviously what he needed was "support" he was just needed to be told that its completely normal and he had nothing to feel guilty about.. instead of this the doctor wrote and i translate it word to word...

"you can stop being gay.. you just need to work hard and dedicate yourself in that direction"
    and i was shocked... it should be noted that this news paper publishes 1million copy per day...

how can a certified doctor even say such things? what can you expect from a society where people who are supposed to support LGBTs rights are telling them to stop being themselves....

2. PeteNJ

Are there any online forums for the paper you could post legitimate sources to? Wikipedia, mayo clinic, or other respected sources of medical info

And of course, there is always a letter to the editor with the same info

Are there any lgbt alliances in your country which could refute this? Any openly lgbt politicians or celebrities you could contact to make them aware of this?

It must be tough for you to live in a country where such nonsense is espoused.

3. amoore658

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's horrible, but I've given up on Doctors. I'm a Clinical Physiology student here in the UK, and I hear Doctors going on homophobic rants about us gays on a daily basis. i.e. "Gays are sinful and proud", "Haha just treated a gay patient, did you see IT?!" etc. It's sick, but I've gotten used to it. They don't know I'm gay, so that's a plus...

People probably don't believe me when I say I hear that, given that the UK is recognized as being "secular". Homophobia is, unfortunately, alive and well amongst the medical profession.

4. Hexagon

I thought you could report these things to governing medical bodies?

5. Deaf Not Blind

"IT"? :eek:

Report that.

6. aUniqueUserName

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

Well dont have a forum but i can try posting on their website. but i seriously dont want to reveal my identity and thats the only thing holding me back from doing something... and No there are no lgbt groups that i am aware of..

i might try writing to the editor but i dont keep my hopes high.. as i am living in a country where just a year ago, National health minister gave a statement that being gay is "unnatural" and a "disease"....!!

7. PeteNJ

As much as there are very unaccepting vs very accepting people in society overall, so too among doctors, politicians, teachers, etc.

Perhaps in your country there is more bias against lgbt people, and that's tough.

I wouldn't say to give up on any group of people (doctors, politicians, etc), but as amoore658 points out, its very easy to become jaded and cynical based on what you see and know.

8. aUniqueUserName

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

IT? seriously? Report it if possible.
    Here in Asia lgbt people dream of having a culture like West where no one gets discriminated on any basis... where everyone is equal...
    may be it is not what it seems in media..

9. Ticklish Fish

i thought doctor's should not be biased...
    Hippocratic Oath I think?

(just wikied that: Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief and in particular of sexual relations with both female and male persons, be they free or slaves.) Hey, Greek/Roman doctors can be gay/bi?

(just also find out this might clash with abortion debate, save for another time)

back on topic, they should keep religion separate.. um... unless it's their patient's religion that they need a different treatment