1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bragging cousin

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FunnyMonkey, Dec 11, 2012.

1. FunnyMonkey

So on my Sept Dad's said of the family (what would be my cousin) Just graduated from college with honors and keeps talking about ect :icon_redf and everyone keeps asking me in a sarcastic way, how college is going for knowing that I'm not in college. ( I have dyslexia and my Mom told my I would just fail if I tried so I never did, :tears: but I have been secretly working on my grammar spelling reading) and I'm going to college in the fall I've been accepted to a private college too and no ones. :slight_smile: I know she worked hard to get it, but I feel like shit now I really do.

So I gust does anyone have any ideas how to get through the holidays?
    I have pick up a few hrs at work and got a second job so I would not be home that much ,but they still are bothering me.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. Ticklish Fish

*hug*

i don't know how to relate to people with dyslexia... but you're doing a good job! don't let people discriminate your learning disability(?)!

3. FunnyMonkey

Thank you very much!!!

I just wait for the are you seeing any girls question to come . lol But I can deal with that one.

4. Ticklish Fish

tell them you are seeing textbooks and literatures? XD

5. Given To Fly

Congrats on getting accepted! I hope you are able to show them you can do anything you put your mind to :slight_smile:

6. FunnyMonkey

Well you just got me to smile. lol

I'm just going to say yes we meet on Adult Friend Finder. that should shut them up lol

7. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pfft... Undergrad difficultly compared to Law School and Grad School is nothing. He need's a slap across the face.

~Josie

8. Ticklish Fish

yeah, i am told undergrad is easier than grad school lol

9. FunnyMonkey

I'll send her your way. lol

10. FunnyMonkey

Sorry I just noticed this now, thank you very much I hope so to I'm going to try my best!! I would love to be valedictorian!!!

11. Given To Fly

Sorry - my ipad keeps randomly reposting that message for some reason. I think it may be an apple ploy to make me stamp on this, and then order the new ipad. Not gonna work lol.

I dropped out of school before I could finish my course - I'm now doing a degree course via distance learning. It's heavy going, what with work and all, but it's doable. Good luck with your studies :slight_smile:

12. FunnyMonkey

It's a good thing it re posted it I didn't see it the first time. Thank you and Good luck with your as well!!

13. TKM

TKM

I understand where your coming from my sister is perfect according to everyone else and shes always done well in school, I'm nowhere near doing as well as she has and probably won't be but when my family nags me I just tell them I'm not my sister I'm trying my hardest and it's pretty damn good! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. 807

I can read fine, but my hand writing is truly awful & my spelling without a spell checker is terrible, as is my grammar most of the time.
    The best thing to happen to me, has been the internet & spell checkers. I can now write almost literately.
    But don't let others make you feel that just because you are dyslexic, you are stupid FunnyMonkey. I took & passed the Mensa exam with IQ of 149..OK so with minimum IQ being 148, I just scrapped it. But I know that even if I can't spell or write to an acceptable standard, I'm not stupid & I can see that neither are you.
    Plus something you have worked for against the odds & gained via hard work, is so much sweeter than what others gain from natural ability.

15. rday13

rday13 Guest

You can do it!
    One of my good friends is a dyslexic gay guy, and he's just made it through Social Work and gotten a full-time job. It takes patience, hard work, charisma, dedication and courage to get into and then through college, but you can do it too. Don't let people who claim bragging rights drag you down at all.

You're a lot stronger than you think. And you will show them that on the day that you get accepted into, and then graduate from college.
    Best of luck :slight_smile:

16. leer

I think its brilliant that you are bettering yourself as well as holding down two jobs .:eusa_clap

17. FunnyMonkey

@ 807 I'm the same way the internet and texting is the best that happen to be, far has spelling, but I'm still having a hard time reading but I have text to speech software.

I know not to think of my self as stupid , but when you hear it all your life and have a hard time just reading or writing simple text . It's kinda like they are right.

@randyday13 I hope so ,if not I can say I at least tried.

@leer Well my second is just a weekend thing until xmas is over. I'm an elf (it's okay to laugh ) but it's putting some money is the bank.

Thank you to all who have answered I really appreciate the support!! *hugs*

18. IkeaMonkey

I've had a bragging cousin all my life so I completely understand. Although it doesn't seem like she's bragging per se, but your family bragging for her? (asking how you're doing in college when they know you aren't in, etc) Anyways, I totally get it.

Congrats on getting accepted. Show them what you can do, but more importantly show yourself what you can do.

As for now, try not to let it bug you (Easy to say, I know!) if they continue to bring it up, just know that your time will come!

19. Capichino

That's kinda mean how they are making fun of u in a way end u have a learning disorder in sorry to hear that but u got into a collage and u can now say hahaha

20. aspiecarer

Well done for going to College.Dyslexia shouldn't stop you from learning but you might just need a bit more support than the other students.The important thing is to ask for help when you need it.
    As I lecturer I can only help my students if I know what their needs are...and I have been giving extra help/tuition to dyslexic students,so have an idea about what's needed.