1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About school.......?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jace, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Jace

Ok so I start school in Austin tomorrow, and haven't come out to my mom as planned, but I still want to start off right ya know, GAY lol. So, even though I'm not out to my mom yet do you think I should be out at school, I don't mean like shouting it over the PA system, but like if someone asks, which they most likely will, I've never done that before, cause most of the time they ask like jackasses so what do you think I should do?

2. biisme

well, maybe you should wait and see how receptive the people in the school are. but, if you really want to be out, then go for it.

good luck.

3. Brett

Well this is Texas........I'm honestly not doing it for 2 reasons.

1) If people at school know, then your parents will find out secondhand if you're not carefull.
    2) You're probably a Fish this year, so that would be 2 more years of the upperclassmen picking on you, and it's harder to make guy friends. And no guy coming over to spend the night will make ur parents a little suspicious. (that's how my mom found out BTW)

and since you're new, you might not want everyone's first impression of you to be, "Oh......it's the gay kid...." But I'm not saying that you shouldn't keep coming out bit by bit, just not all at once.

So not to rain on your parade, but it might not be in your bst intres to be out in Texas, in highschool, as the new kid, and be so young. But it's your choice not mine, so do what you feel is right.

4. Jace

Yeah well actually I'm in eighth so I'm at the top, for now, and I don't really care if my mom finds out (idk my dad) I wouldve told her myself, if I wasn't so chicken lol. But yeah I haven't had any sleep overs in awhile, plus she already knows, it'd be hard not to lol, plus there are sooo many cute boys lol, maybe I can find someone to have a sleep over with :wink:

Lol but yeah little by little...

5. Jace

And the type of people I usually hang out with are pretty open, two or three of my friends back home were actually lesbians or bi or seriously confused fuckers lol

I think ill go with biisme's advice and see how it is first

6. sdc91

Hm, you might be labeled as the gay kid. I wouldn't shout it out, but if someone asks you about it I don't know . . . maybe. You're in Austin, so no one should care.

7. violinguy92

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, my experience with schools in texas is people really won't bother you. Don't go around announcing it or wearing rainbow shirts, but be like me (walk, talk, and act like a gay)

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I say act however you normally act, and do spend some time figuring out how receptive the students are. You can come out to them over time as you make new friends, but all at once probably isn't the best idea. And even if you're okay with your parents knowing, it's better for you to tell them than for the parent of the sister of a friend to tell them. Do everything you can to make them find out from no one but yourself.

9. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

I agree with abunch of previous advice...act the normal way you act...make friends and meet ppl...then tell them later that you are gay ...that way they will get to know you first before they make judgements or jump to conclusions....also that way you wont be labled as the "new gay kid" in school...just try to get familar with your classmates and be an outgoing person and ppl will like you...and then later when the time is right tell them your gay...i think that would work best..i dont think you should just jump right in their and tell everyone that you are gay...you may feel isolated as they may try to avoid you or you might feel like ppl are staring or looking at you funny...id say make friends first (straight or gay dosent matter) then tell them later...:lol:

10. Jace

whoaa haha yeah i didnt like jump out of the closet today at school, which is prolly good, there is only ONE bi GIRL!!! ugh, well at least that i know of lol... sucks.,..

11. Wired106

That's like a really smart idea. If you start out as gay at a school I don't think you'll be made fun of because people just know you came and that your gay. But if you show up and a year later people slowly start hearing stuff about you maybe being gay then people might start crap with you lol. That's why I'm not out at school yet lol. Anyways you should tell your mom. That would be an awesome start.

12. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Trust us, there are more. Some may still be closeted, some may be ambiguous, some may be uncertain, and some you just may not have met yet. You're never the only one of your kind in a public place.