1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out MtF in Uni?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Danvers AllStar, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Danvers AllStar

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's really only recently that I've started questioning my gender identity. I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to realize that I'm not entirely female. I've had a lot of personal issues pretty much my whole life and I've never really felt comfortable in my skin, although I've always had decent self-esteem when it comes to my body because I'm fairly attractive. Still, when I put on really nice clothes I feel good that I look good (everyone likes feeling attractive), but I've always felt sort of detached from my appearance, if that makes sense.

Anyway, the point is I've never been super girly but I've never really been very maculine, either. I've always dressed in women's clothing and been just fine presenting myself as entirely female. I'm still questioning whether I'm trans or bi-gender, but the more I think about my past experience the more it seems like I'm really trans. I'd like to try presenting as male for a while to see what it feels like, but I'm a uni student and I'm scared to change my appearance so drastically. It's one thing to come out when you're already fairly 'butch', but I'm really not, so there's no way people aren't going to wonder what the heck is going on. I'm especially worried because the courses I'm taking all have very small class sizes and I know most of my profs really well, and I don't want my rapport with them to suffer, but I feel like I NEED a change, and a drastic one. I've been suffering some pretty debilitating dysphoria lately :icon_sad: