1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out in College

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by konfused612, Sep 17, 2006.

1. konfused612

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Over the past few years I have discovered that I am a gay man. I’ve had a serious relationship with a woman, a not-so-serious fling with another, and my fair share of depression and social withdrawal. Through all of this, I began to understand myself. I discovered that I had been trying to put a square peg into a round hole. The more honest I became about my sexual orientation, the more I found out about myself. I discovered a whole new part of myself that I never knew existed, and I love it.

This past summer I got to the point where I was ready to tell a friend back home. We were in the midst of an AIM conversation when I finally told him. We had a long talk about it, and he was very supportive. It was a very positive experience.:icon_smil

Now I’m back at school, and no one here knows. I would like to come out and be open about my orientation. I’m not really afraid that people won’t be accepting, I’m just not quite sure what my next move is. I could tell some of my closer friends here. My guess is that is the next step. But then what? How do I tell the others? There is a gay/straight alliance at my school. Perhaps that will come into play. I’m just not sure how to get the word out to my friends. I’m still very nervous and scared about how this is going to change things.

Another reason I want to be open about my sexuality is to meet more gay people. Since I have come out to myself, I have made many new friends, and am enjoying my life in many new ways. Still, there is something that is missing and I feel that it is a meaningful relationship. I know that coming out isn’t going to fix this, however I don’t think it’s very likely I’ll meet someone while I’m in the closet.

I know there are no easy answers, but I would love to hear what others think.

2. Sam

Sam

well you are right its not easy to be in a relationship with someone while you are in the closet. well to start off I think you should tell the people you are close with about friends if you tell them and they are not supportive they werent worth the time you spent as their friend. but most likely they will accept you. the next step would be your parents or someone who has taken their place if you hide the fact that you are gay from them it will really take and affect on how happy you are. It will be hard to tell them in fact it will probably be the scariest thing you have to do but if all goes well you will be better off and I would definitely think about joining the gay/straight alliance at your school. but my suggestion is that you tell at least your friends before you do that way they dont hear you are gay from some other source because its best if they hear it from you and hey maybe the alliance will give you the support you need to tell your parents and others in your life I know this was long but I hope it helps at least a little bit good luck

3. tired_of_lying411

how old are you? does school mean highschool or university? Do your parents know?

these questions answered will help us understand your situation.

Congrats on finding yourself!

4. konfused612

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm 20 (a Junior in College). I have not told my parents, though I think they suspect it (they've hinted at it before, I just wasn't out to myself at that time).

5. step49x

You sound like you're having some simmilar issues as I am. I'm 18 (a feshman in college), and I'm kind of at the same point as you are, as far as trying to figure out what to do at this point in my college career. I have gone and joined a GSA-type group, although they haven't had any structured meetings yet. As I haven't actually told anyone on campus that I'm gay yet, this has put an interesting time restraint on me where I need to figure out who I want to tell personally vs. them finding out "through the grape vine."

Ahh, what wondrous webs we weave...

6. hello

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i have been feeling the same way.please post me when u find a soulution.and good luck.and hope it works.