1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So depressed.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by theMaverick, Dec 12, 2012.

1. theMaverick

I am feeling like I've been knocked down lower than low. Nothing in life is going as I planned it. I'm unhappy with my body, my mental state of mind, my job and financial situation (broke/unemployed, looking), my weight, my relationship, my family. I feel like it would genuinely be better if I was dead or just disappeared. I hate feeling this way. I don't feel like I have the power to change ANY of it.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might not be able to change everything - you have no immediate control over your family's actions, for example, and you need someone to offer you a job before you can have one - but you can work on some of these things. If you're really unhappy with your weight, eat a healthy meal, or go out for a short run one day. If you're unhappy with your state of mind, try giving yourself a day off (the search for a job is a job itself) and do something you might enjoy.

None of these are long term or immediate solutions, of course, but if you can make yourself take small steps (it's a lot easier to say "I'm going to go outside and walk around the block" than "I'm going to lose a bunch of weight") and see yourself making progress, it might help more than you would think.

Also, because you mention family/relationship - have you talked to these people about your feelings? Do you think you could, if you haven't?

3. theMaverick

I'll give it a try, and I don't know if talking will do any good but I will try.

4. EarthBound

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I will reiterate what Gravity mentioned about possibly talking to someone in your friendly. Or perhaps a trusted friend too? It can be hard sometimes to reach out, but it can also make such a difference because we have that one extra person to help us bear our load.

We are here for you.

5. theMaverick

I might talk to my one cousin who I'm out to. At least I could be 100% honest with her.

6. kris B

Hey there someonelost, I know how you feel. I felt the same way for a long time and I still sometimes do. But I just wanted to tell you that when you are in clinical depression (which I think you are), life seems more negative than it really is. Your depressed mind just looks at everything with a negative bias. You have to learn to ignore your negative thoughts at times.

Try doing little things for yourself, things you enjoy. Simple exercise or walking is a good idea too, anything small that gives you a sense of achievement (like lowering your weight even a little for example). And I know it is difficult, but try to socialize and interact with people. Even if you can't share all your worries with them, simple conversation helps depression. And if it at all possible, see if you can go to a therapist.

Again, remember that things are not as bad as your depressed mind makes them look like. If you find your mind drifting down the slope of increasingly negative thoughts, take a breath and focus on an activity or anything you can do right now.

I hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself :slight_smile: