1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice abotu friends dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by madanesor, Dec 12, 2012.

1. madanesor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys,
    So I am in a bit of a weird situation. I just got home for the Chistmas break and turned on an app on my phone that lets you see other gay guys near you for the first time in my home town ( I go away to school). One of the guys that it showed is my one of my best friends from high schools dad. We aren't that close any more but we used to be very close. Should I tell him? As far as I know he doesn't know his dad is gay.

2. cemma

I suppose it depends in how close you still are, like if it gonna make him mad then no or if thinks you are doing it out of spite then no.
    I guess though its your friends dads personal life so perhaps it's best not to go in digging and sharing. His dad wants it secret or his son woul already know.. Get me? So maybe it's best just to leave his business alone an worry about your own. After all if someone found out an started telling your friend how would you feel?

3. i DEFINITELY do not recommend outting him. you do NOT want to open a pandora's box that can easily get out of control.

however, if it starts to eat at you, then my only advice is to REALLY sit down and think about the decision.

4. Given To Fly

I think you should leave it. ask yourself - if it were the other way round, and your friend's dad had seen you on there, would you be happy for him to out you to people?

I guess you feel some kind of loyalty to your friend, but is it really your place to get invokved?

5. madanesor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah I think you guys are right its not my place. I just feel bad if it was my dad I think I would want someone to tell me. But if it was me I wouldn't want my friends son to tell him... so its a bit of a weird situation

6. Lewis

Nope. It's his business. Only he can tell his son that he's gay, nobody else has the right to.

7. PeteNJ

Absolutely not.

The ONLY time I'd say its ok to tell your friend, is if you knew that other school friends already know this about his Dad and were going to tease or make fun of him in front of your friend. Then it would be more compassionate to tell your friend directly, in private, so he can work this through.

This happened to my GF -- her married father was having relationships with men, which the wife knew about and was ok about. A lot of other people knew, but not my GF. Instead, her mother decided to tell her, so she wouldn't hear it at a party or in the halls or something. It was quite a shock to her.

8. SomeNights

*clears throat*

HELL NO!!!!!!

That is opening a can of worms that NOONE want's to deal with. It's for reasons like that why i don't put a pic of me on #######. There are still some people that I'd rather leave guessing and even some other people that I might be kinda pissed if you told I.E. my parents

9. Adelaida

Definitely don't tell him. You don't have an obligation to tell him, and like you said, you wouldn't want the same done to you.

If you were still very close with this friend, my advice would be to approach his father about it, let him know that you saw him on there, and leave the decision to the father.