1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Financial Aid help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sesshomaru, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Sesshomaru

I just left from the college I'm applying to and now I'm freaking out since it looks like I won't be able to receive my financial aid again because of my mom and step-dad. On my 2011 forms they both put down that they filed for taxes and although I think my mom really did, my step-dad didn't since he was doing some kind of illegal work that now has him on house arrest and currently awaiting trial. Anyways, my former school I applied to of course wanted a copy of their w2s and while I think my mom was able to get hers my step-dad couldn't get his. Since he couldn't my school refused to give me my aid since they required it.

Now I'm stuck again since I'm not able to be eligible to not have them on my financial aid since "moving out and my step-dad being in jail" isn't a good enough excuse. I spoke to someone from the Fafsa service line and they said I could put down that my step-dad didn't file but with the money my mom makes the school asked how did we/they make enough money to support a household of 5. Does anyone know how much money can be made before a person is required to file for taxes? If I could find a way to list them just before the requirement maybe then I might be able to finally start school since I've already missed 3 semesters of school due to something going wrong every single time and I really can't deal with being a full two years behind with school :frowning2:

2. SomeNights

If you make more than 500. In any calendar year from a single source, You have to file. There are a bunch of other stipulations though. Plus that 500 rule only applies to cash work. If you get a 1099 form or a w2 you have to file.

3. Sesshomaru

Does that mean even though my mom doesn't pay taxes with her work since she does hair that she has to file?

4. Deaf Not Blind

your mom should know all this. Do you all have access to AARP? why i say that is in Washington state i go to library to do my taxes for free with the AARP! they do it for lots of peeps.

you can contact the IRS with questions too, but looks like your parents don't know much about legal trouble if not pay taxes.

Is she working as a free agent?
    Does she work for a company and fill out a W-2 form?

---------- Post added 13th Dec 2012 at 07:00 PM ----------

By the way, have you tried for scholarships?