1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it just a phase?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by toboymi, Dec 13, 2012.

1. toboymi

Out Status:
    A few people
    The other day I came out to my mom. I wasn't worried, she's really liberal and over all sexuality is something natural. It was mostly because I wanted her to comfort me, since the girl of my dreams is unachievable.
    It didn't go as I expected. She said it was just a phase... Just a phase. She told me that at my age (17) sexuality isn't totally formed in an individual. That everyone goes trough it. That is just part of growing. And basically that she believed that I am just being influenced by media and I'm just like those girls that claim to be bi after making out drunk with another girl. That she wouldn't believe me until I was a fully grown adult.
    The fact is that, I'm not quite sure.
    I've had boyfriends before (it never worked), I find guys attractive but the idea of having sexual intercourse with one disgusts me.
    But, even though, I love girls since I was like 10 I has never had a girlfriend so I don't know it would work out. Being around girls in a flirty way gets me really nervous, I get all slow and stupid.
    I was really mad at mom but I couldn't give her real motives or arguments on my favor. Just because I'm afraid she's right.
    (she's a psychologist,.so she wasn't making it up)

2. J Snow

Based on your post it sounds like you have strongly leaned towards women sexually and emotionally since you had concepts of attractions in either area.

If she is she should know that sexuality as a phase is highly unsupported. Its not a "phase" and sexuality doesn't just change like that. Also, she is a mother before she is a psychologist. Just because she may be qualified to give advice to acquaintances when she can separate emotion from logic doesn't mean she is going to do that when dealing with her own family issues. Psychologists need therapists just as much as everyone else.

Even if it were a phase (which I don't think it is), who cares? There is nothing wrong with being queer, so embrace it. If down the road you decide you aren't really attracted to women then what did you lose for having a previous relationship with a woman? Nothing in my opinion. If anything you would have gained knowledge and experience from experiencing something new and learning more about yourself in the process.

So basically, no, its not just a phase, and even if it were that shouldn't alter your decisions anyway.

3. toboymi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow! That really helped.
    I think I am just a little apprehensive about the whole thing. I'll try to calm down a little.
    Thanks x