1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would it be okay to make myself stop the questioning process?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheUglyBarnacle, Dec 14, 2012.

1. TheUglyBarnacle

I have been questioning my sexuality for a couple of months or so now and it has been overwhelming. I am constantly asking myself whether I find this celebrity hot etc. The past few days, I just decided not to give a crap. Labels have never been my thing, anyway. "Follow your heart" they say and I agree.
    What I realised was that I feel much more lust towards men in general (as in find them more attractive) but that almost all of my sexual fantasies are with women.
    Now, I've concluded that I must be somewhere in the spectrum of bisexuality near the heterosexual line. Would it be wrong to just consider myself straight who makes exceptions? I mean, I'd love to experiment and have a relationship with a girl at some point to see whether I like it but living where I do that's pretty wishful thinking. Maybe sometime in the future I will get the chance to explore myself better. If I manage to stop being obsessed with it and just say I'm straight for now, would that be a wrong move? Who knows, maybe this is just a phase. Besides, I am only 15.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "I must be somewhere in the spectrum of bisexuality near the heterosexual line."

Sounds like you've got it pretty figured out. I agree that you should hold off labeling yourself for the time being though, unless you call yourself a "swinger" lol.

Good luck in discovering things about yourself. No need for time limits either. You're free to question until you feel you've made the right choices.

3. schrodingers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't see a problem with it! If you feel that you've settled into a comfortable place of self-knowledge and don't think you need to delve further, then that's okay. Then, if you happen to make other self-discoveries down the line, you can just let those happen without forcing them to, if that makes sense.

4. TheUglyBarnacle

@Swordsman Thanks for replying. :slight_smile: Well, yeah, I do not intend to use any labels yet except for the usual "Of course I'm straight!" when asked. >.>
    As for having it figured out, I don't know. There are days when I like girls more and days when I like guys more. I guess I will give up the labelling but probably not the questioning even though it'd be nice to be able to do that. I'll just go where life leads me, I guess.
    And by that I mean I'm going to try out if I feel like it, given the opportunity.

@schrodingers Thanks for replying. :slight_smile: That's what I intend to do. Try not to think about it too much but let things happen. I know I'll fail as pretty sure my brain is going to keep on vexing me about it but at least I won't have the whole 'forcing myself to like the opposite/same gender' that I would get at times.
    Or at least I hope so.

#4 TheUglyBarnacle, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  5. i've been questioning for about a year now , it's been pretty rough for me although this summer i met someone online who made stop questioning for 3 months. I've finally am not questioning anymore but i have no label for my sexuality , i've been thinking of girls for like a year now and the whole year I've told myself it's a phase and that i'm really straight but i'm not sure if i'm really straight considering the crushes I've had on girls. until i like guys again like i use to , i won't classify myself as straight but not anything else.

i don't think it would be wrong for you to stop questioning , that's what i did although it took me a year to stop

#5 woundsneverheal, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  6. TheUglyBarnacle

I did read the whole thing but that just hit too close to home. Exactly how I feel.
    I will keep on saying I'm straight when asked as it will be too complicated to tell my family or friends that I'm questioning my sexuality but I won't consider myself straight. Yeah, that's basically lying but I know some of them don't really believe me anyway so I feel no guilt. >.>

7. yeah , i haven't had a crush on a guy in what 2 years? damn...but my dad and sister know i'm question but they think it's a phase and that i'm straight and i tried to believe it but ...i just keep thinking of girls and right now , i want a girlfriend rather than a boyfriend. i have kissed a girl and i got those butterflies and i wasn't even grossed out...girls...there is something about them that keeps me on my toes , guys don't do that right now.

anyways....that's just me though.

i thought it was a phase because i was 15 as well and that my crush katie was just a girl crush and that i just admired her but the way she made me feel was...just ..i don't different. she gave me butterflies and i wanted her to be mine...i always felt ashamed for liking her because i put myself into this state where i thought it was a phase so if she did like me back , i was worried , i wasn't going to like her anymore

#7 woundsneverheal, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  8. TheUglyBarnacle

Are you me in a year from now? XD

I've never had a crush on a guy as in thinking about them all day and stuff. But I've found quite a lot to be attractive. These few months I've been questioning, though, all I want is a girlfriend. Not that I'd mind a boyfriend but if I could choose it'd be a girlfriend in a heartbeat.
    Kissing? Hmm... I've pecked my friends on the lips accidentally quite a lot of times (missed the cheek) and never felt grossed out. I wouldn't even wipe my lips even though they did. But no real kiss ever so I don't know about the "butterflies".

9. i'd say if you want a girlfriend , go find one currently am trying to get over my ex online girlfriend. i know she's online ...but still she meant the world to me ...and i really miss the way we were and now i find someone else...and possibly leave her to move on. we have Skyped for the first time recently...and i thought it'd make it easier to let go but it's not. we've been talking 7 months...and it seems she knows me like nobody else. ... but overall do what you find comfortable , as for the kiss , i just felt electricity when i had mine , possibly because it was unexpected...sorry for giving that information but i just am venting a little. anyways , don't stress too much over the questioning like i did....that was my biggest mistake

#9 woundsneverheal, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2012
  10. TheUglyBarnacle

As I said, I'd love to find one but that's easier said than done, especially in my town.
    Oh, that must hurt. Are you trying to remain friends? Because if you're trying to get over her, Skyping with her will probably only make it more difficult. In order to move on you should try to slowly make her a less important part of your life.
    Don't worry, vent as much as you want. That's why we're here, right?
    That's what I am trying to do. It's certainly not easy, especially when I realise that I am not as attracted to boys as I thought I was, but I'm trying. I've realised that constantly thinking about it is only going to make me feel bad or like I'm forcing myself to like the male/female gender (depending on the situation). I guess you know the feeling?

11. yeah , i do. i only skyped with her once but were still talking. we are friends but it's really hard to be her friend since i still have feelings for her....and she doesn't anymore...i haven't tried to find someone else but its not exactly working out so well...and is your town religious or what?

12. TheUglyBarnacle

Maybe you could try not to spend so much time with her? It'll be hard moving on if she is a constant in your life. You could try spending more time with your friends IRL or making new ones. The less interaction with her, the less you'll think about her.
    Not exactly religious... It's just very small and not exactly gay-friendly. In my school there's like only one openly LGBTQ person, a gay guy, and everyone knows it. Since I'm only questioning for the time being and it could always be just a phase I'd rather not get involved in something everyone will know about in a matter of days.

13. yeah true but the thing is we don't talk that much , we only talk once a day (one message per day) and well.... I've been trying to distance myself from her actually.
    and if people did know you were questioning and some may say your lesbian , bisexual or whatever....i've learned to not give a fuck....so what your're questioning....it's not like your the only one in the world and god for bid you may possibly be something else other than straight but i'm not saying tell everyone...i'm just saying if people do find out and tell the school....then let them....it's not like your're the only one

14. TheUglyBarnacle

Good, that's the right way to go about it. :wink: Life goes on.

True... Well, if there was some specific girl I wouldn't back down for such a stupid reason. However, since most, if not all, the women I've been attracted to IRL have been way older than me it'd be pretty difficult to get a girlfriend in the first place. Besides, I'm not the best looking chick out there. I'm comfortable the way I am right now. Should a chance present itself, I'll make sure not to let it go.

15. yeah. i swear i hated questioning my sexuality....it was hell until i met her but it was still hell

16. TheUglyBarnacle

What I've realised in these few months is that being obsessed with it only causes grief. I'll let things flow, I don't have to be with someone to be happy. Neither do I have to limit myself. I'm questioning and I'll make the most of it. Even if I turn out to be straight in the end, I will only have gained things in terms of learning about life. That's why I made this thread. Worrying is over. Or at least I hope so. XD
    Have you managed to give it an end? Not the questioning, obviously. The worrying. I mean, even if she's no longer part of your life, you can still find a girl or a guy who will bring a smile to your face.
    Hell, you don't need someone to bring a smile on your face. You can do it on your own.

I should really start taking my advice.

17. yeah , i just...i don't know....well after the summer....when she didn't have feelings for me anymore , i started to question again...and worry i was just kidding myself...but during the summer with her , i didn't question anything...i was happy with her and i didn't even question my sexuality when i had feelings for her...you know? but then after the summer , i started worrying it was juts a phase and everything i felt in the summer wasn't real and what not but now i've ran out of questions to ask

she's still in my life but we don't talk that much anymore

18. TheUglyBarnacle

I know what you mean! When I see a woman that I am attracted to, when I fantasise about being with one, I am sure I like girls at least to some extent. But there are those times when I just think I am kidding myself and that this is all in my head. A phase that I'm going through.
    What my plans for now are include embracing the questioning process. I won't have many chances to be a teenager. Exploring myself is part of the deal. I think of it as good actually. Even if it turns out to be a phase then at least some time will have been spent just in order to discover myself and enjoy it.

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2012 at 07:36 PM ----------

I know what you mean! When I see a woman that I am attracted to, when I fantasise about being with one, I am sure I like girls at least to some extent. But there are those times when I just think I am kidding myself and that this is all in my head. A phase that I'm going through.
    What my plans for now are include embracing the questioning process. I won't have many chances to be a teenager. Exploring myself is part of the deal. I think of it as good actually. Even if it turns out to be a phase then at least some time will have been spent just in order to discover myself and enjoy it.

19. yeah goodluck. i have to move on first....and it's been tough...i've been crying all morning...but i'll get through it

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2012 at 10:05 AM ----------

i just gave her a message. she'll get maybe today or at night ...but we need to talk (her and me) because i have tried being patient but...its driving me nuts. she said she loved me but i personally don't she did and we also need to talk about what happened in the summer. i am sick of acting like it never happened.

20. TheUglyBarnacle

You will. :wink: There's a lot of fish in the sea.
    Normally i'd tell you not to cry over something like that- to work on your smile and not let such things bring you down. But I won't. Crying does help, actually. Bottling things up doesn't. Let it all out. Scream and cry. Then get over her and move on. It's a lengthy process. Best of luck with it. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2012 at 08:16 PM ----------

That's good to hear. If you confront her, it will certainly help. Clear everything up. Nobody deserves to be lied to or treated like that. If you're ready to tell her where she wronged you, I'm pretty sure that's a step forward in moving on. :slight_smile: