1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first REAL girlfriend and I just broke up

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kaybee21, Dec 14, 2012.

1. kaybee21

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And it is so much more than I anticipated. I think we both saw the end drawing near, because it was mostly a mutual decision... however I don't think I was prepared for how incredibly emotional this would be.

We were passionate all around, in our fights and in our good times-- which I would often tell her to be glad I cared enough to fight like we did-- as I'd never cared enough to fight with other girls. Our end was the most calm aspect of our relationship, and after the two years we spent exclusively together I think I'd be foolish to not feel incomplete right now without her.

How does one party move on so casually and so easily, when the other just struggles to get through a day? She's out with friends, out with new girls, back dating (only just 2 weeks after we ended) and all about putting it on blast on facebook to make sure I see it. I know we aren't getting back together, I don't wish to.. I'm just struggling with how to make complete peace with this and learn how to be single again.

Any advice would be so very appreciated. She wasn't my catalyst, but definitely my first real love. She was so real in my life and so important to me I began coming out to other people so she and I could be more openly together, so that I could introduce her to the people who mattered most to me as my girlfriend. And now the only time she'll recall we had a past is when she calls in the middle of the night asking me to come over-- knowing full well it'll kill me regardless of if I say yes or no.

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone grieves in different ways... hers may be getting out and about to avoid thinking about you.

I wish I had advice, but I can only really empathize. I'm experiencing unrequited love, and it hurts more than I ever imagined. I think all we can do is wade through the pain, and try to get out of the house and put one foot in front of the other... all the while hoping we will find a way to disconnect from that other person.

3. CrochetBouquet

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Bless your heart, I am sending you cuddles. Often time is the thing that helps the most and you just have to wait for it to tick by. It's okay to be sad and I promise you it will not hurt forever, it's just a process

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is important to let yourself be sad and upset for a while, but at the same time keep yourself busy with things, see friends, try new things. Time is a wonderful healer.

5. kaybee21

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love the way you explained this. It was so very exact, "wade through the pain"

Thank you all for the support, hurt as it may, I appreciate your all sharing that it really won't last forever. Just trying to muddle through it all until-- like you all say-- it fades more into just a dull ache instead of this sharp pain I've got now.