1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A prom clothing

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Derpette, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Derpette

Hey, I have a problem. I've recently came out to my parents and they did not take it very well, but that is not the main thing. There's this event in January, a prom, and even though it's not mine I want to go there so bad. I've always refused to wear skirts, dresses and stuff like that and my mother's always known it.

A few days ago, I bought myself a suit (a men's suit, I've spent my own money from a summer job on that) that I want to wear and both my mother and father totally freaked out, it was worse than the day that came out to them. They yelled at me, they made me show myself in the suit in front of them and told me how awful I look, I've just never felt more humiliated and like a freak in my whole life. I've also heard my father saying that if it goes on like this, he'll kick me out of the house and my mother completely refuses the idea that I'll go dressed like this. She just says she won't let me do that.

I've tried to explain her how I feel, I told her that I'm not doing this against them, in order to make them angry or something. I said that I'm doing this for me, because this feels like a huge step for me to let people know how I feel and be open about myself, I don't want to hide my true self anymore. She seemed like she understood, at least partly, but I've mentioned it a while ago and she said again that she won't let me.

I'm really desperate, on the one hand I don't want to go against my parent's will because I respect them, but on the other I just want to be myself, feel comfortable and let people around me know it.

Do you have any advice for me? Anything will help.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a hard time telling people to rebel against parents, and similarly have a hard time telling people to suppress who they are. Sorry you're in a tight spot, but know that you are not a freak. I think talking with them about how they would feel if somebody criticized something about themselves they held near and dear might be enlightening.

3. Derpette

I've tried to tell them to look at it from my perspective, but all in vain. It just seems that they don't want to understand. I don't know what to do.

4. Greendalehumans

Maybe there's some sort of compromise you could find? As much as I think you should've able to wear the suit, they're your parents and if your dad says that he'll kick you out then it might be best to play it safe. Maybe a woman's suit would be alright with them?