1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My girlfriend's uncle is a old mean man

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PinkTractor, Dec 14, 2012.

1. PinkTractor

Not sure where else to go with my frustration on this one. My girlfriend is the sweetest, kindest girl in the world. Her uncle has known for 20+ years she is gay. Today he posted this bit of homophobic ignorant bullshit to her facebook page...

He wrote:
    "Ladies of the state of Washington, be careful of who uses your dressing rooms in Gym, Spas etc. With the new law giving gays special rights the person who thinks he is a she may be in that dressing room with you. This is with the governments approval."

She was so hurt and angry. I am furious. I want to rip this cruel man a new one, and post 100 factual articles about the truth of transgendered and gay people to his page. I have no right to say or do anything, he's not my family. She won't, for fear of upsetting anyone else in her family. So the nasty old creep will just get away with spouting this shit on her page.
    I am so tired of entitled, ignorant, bigoted old white men thinking they can just shit on everyone else in the world and get away with it.:tears::bang::tantrum:

2. DhammaGamer

Umm have her unfriend the prick. Click Click *middle finger*

3. The Queen Bee

Usually when I hear/read this kind of crap I either rant/vent/bitch or listen to Eminem or that type of music (you know... SCREAMING music)...

What's with these people???
    Who the hell do they think they are???
    Geezus... They're nobodies who try to put us down to feel better about themselves.

4. Pain

Pain Guest

He put this ON HER PROFILE? That is extremely rude. She should say something, and you should encourage her to.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Folks, this is ignorance, not hatred. People are afraid of what they don't understand. And at first glance, to someone who has no concept of what it's like to be a transgender individual, it sounds crazy and self absorbed and all these other things. Even more so if you're of an older generation.

I'm not condoning the behavior, just saying... most of us have had moments in our lives where we've responded with anger or fear about something we didn't understand, so we were afraid of it. I seriously doubt his intent was to be hurtful; more likely it was just ignorance.

6. PinkTractor

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. She has chosen to do nothing in response, and since it is her family member, and her FB page, I'm staying out of it.
    As to what Chip says--yes, this man is old (mid-80's) and no doubt baffled by reality. The fact that for decades my girlfriend was butch (called sir by strangers) and has been openly gay for decades simply confirms for me that this assumption that "If they love you eventually they'll come around and accept you" isn't always the case. If he gave one second's thought to how his words would affect her, he would have seen that his comment was hurtful. So, he is either so thoughtless and uncaring he didn't spend that tiny second of reflection before opening his mouth, or he DID know, and felt arrogantly entitled to spout off his rant anyway.
    Apparently, feeling entitled to be thoughtless and unkind to gay family members can easily last for decades. I guess this is just a valuable reminder to me to not blithely believe that much older family members will ever change their beliefs.