1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conservative Grandma's for Christmas eve :c

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by oblina, Dec 14, 2012.

1. oblina

So I have come out to my family and they are okay with it, my immediate family is much more liberal and accepting than my extended family, which is from deep south texas. I live out of state away from my immediate family and my grandma but I will be vising for christmas. The 24th is my girlfriend and I's 6 month anniversary, so I was hoping to facetime with her a little bit, but I just found out we are having christmas eve at my grandmothers house.

I have only seen my grandma once since I came out, and do not plan on coming out to her for quite some time. I know it is going to be hard avoiding talking about my girlfriend at all, I spend the most time with her and do the most things with her.

I don't know how I am going to handle being around my grandma while missing my girlfriend so much, and having to pretend to be a different person. All this is turning me into a grinch :C

2. IkeaMonkey

Ask a reindeer for some assistance.

♫Conservative grandma gets run over by a reindeer♫

(I suck at giving advice so I just ask reindeers to run over people)

---------- Post added 14th Dec 2012 at 10:18 PM ----------

But serious, maybe this might be a good time to come out to her? Since your immediate family already knows, they will have your back. Obviously when you're there and the vibe doesn't feel right, then don't go through with it.

3. Deaf Not Blind

So do you not like your grandma? Is she mean? You can't have any fun with family because why? You never see your girlfriend? How old is gramma, you haven't seen her much, are you sure that a 6 month gf is more important than someone who is elderly and maybe you won't have another Christmas with her?

Why I am saying it this way: I have seen straight young teens so in love with bf/gf that they want every waking min. texting them, or oovooing. While they get pissed having to go to grandparents and not spending another full day with a person who, 2 months later cheats on them and they break up....and then they remmy at a later date when the grandad has a funeral that they were so rude the last time they were around them only because of not getting more time with a gf/bf...and they never forgive themselves for it. never.

so I just want to make sure...she maybe conservative, but I don't know your relationship. If she is a nice gramma, you could have a good time with her no matter what your sexual orientation, as it is just one day a year.

Now why you won't ever ever come out to her...you didn't post that either. Maybe you have a valid reason to say that, like she shuns other in the family. But if she is nice just conservative, you should realize many grandmas love grand daughters just because they are loving.

without knowing more, this is my only advise.

4. SomeNights

oh come on, doesn't your grandmother have WIFI? heck both of mine are even on facebook(creepy right?). you can still get your facetime session in, just not facetime with her !:roflmao:

ROFLMAO

5. Deaf Not Blind

6. oblina

My grandma cried when I got my lip pierced. She though I would never be able to get a job, ever. I am her only granddaughter. Coming out to her would by be good and she would most likely cut me out, we used to be close before I got my lip pierced but she took it as a betrayal against her -_-
    I used to like my grandma but her beliefs have gotten in the way. She used to be better but as she has gotten into her sixties she has spent more time with my Texan family, and he gotten more racist(incredibly so) and more hateful against gays. I know that spending a whole day with her hiding myself will just be incredibly awkward. I'm a tattooed, pierced, lesbian democrat in an interracial relationship. There's no avoiding it.
    All the topics concerning myself bring up things sea uncomfortable with. Even my old frieda that she did know and will likely ask about aren't my friends anymore cause they couldn't handle me coming out of the closet.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best move might be "selective conversation". Don't lie about your girlfriend, but just don't use the g-word. You've been hanging around with a new friend named Stacy (or whatever), and you're quite happy, as you've never managed to click with someone quite like her before.

Lex

8. Deaf Not Blind

yup, try your best to have an okay time.
    if she is really becoming racist because of bad influences in her life, and you love her, you should do your best to be a shining light of good influence on her.
    if you don't, who will?