1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out at work?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Feb 20, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

Okso, heres the deal:

I work at a bookstore, and the people who i work with are super nice. The only problem is that when i talk to people, [being that most of 'em are girls] it makes it hard to discuss normal things like relationships cause nobody except one person knows im a lesbian.

I know that i cant get fired for this, because I casully mentioned discrimination in general to one of the seinors and she told me that they will not tolerate any discrimination whatsoever, be it race, religion, sexuality etc.

Im not planning to like go: HEY EVERYONE, GUESS WHAT! but if i do this...im not sure how? if that makes sense. i only came out t my family and friends 3 months ago, so im still kind of getting used to being somewhat out.

Advice?

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you're positive that the reception will be at least mostly positive, then I would suggest slowly hinting at your identity until you don't really have to say it, people just...know. If there's anyone in particular that seems more open-minded than the others, come out to them first and see if they can help you spread the news to everyone else.

3. Rette

I find it's easiest to just let it come up naturally in conversation. Talk about relationships, for instance, is bound to come up.

4. Psychedelic Bookmarks

perhaps wait until they're talking about relationships, then say "i had a date with a cute girl recently" or whatever. the news will probabaly circulate quickly lol. :grin: good luck!

5. MusicIsLife

Thanks guys :] i'll try the realtionships/conversation thing if it comes up, and i may start getting into the habit of bringing my Curve magazine into the staffroom :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Hmm, I would talk to the head boss about this if you like. It may make you able to express yourself more :slight_smile: I'm not out to my boss at work but I am to my coworker, and she probably told him anyways :O

7. CrimsonThunder

I like Nicvcer's advice, telling the boss that you're gay and telling her/him that you plan on letting the rest of the staff find out will be the safest way as then you can easily tell the boss if you get harrassed. (Which you don't expect will happen but COULD!) Would also be a good thing for other people to do. :slight_smile:

So yeah when relationships convos come up say you like girls and not boys! Easy as pie right? (probably not =P good luck!)

8. MusicIsLife

:grin: thanks guys for all the suggestions and support!

I have started to come out, and though i did not speak to my boss, i have started mentioning girls in relationship conversation, which was REALLY hard the first time i did it, and yea.

thank you :] I'd go a little more in detail of whats going on, but theres not much going on, no drama, no one is being nasty to me, etc. I guess im really lucky.

9. Luroon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Casual conversation on the topic is probably the best route. That will give your coworkers the chance to approach you bluntly on the topic if they need to on their terms without having to feel assailed by this new bit of info.