1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been Contemplating Suicide

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Asari, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's never been this bad. No one supports me. All my friends tell me i need to change and that I'm a sinner. I would change if I could. Every time they tell me I'm sinning and that I'm deceiving myself I want to injure myself. I am spending the next three weeks with my parents. I want to come out to them and every moment I spend with them is agonizing. I know they won't support me when I come out to them. They think homosexuality is a gross sin. Knowing that I will never have their support makes me want to kill myself. I think about how negatively they will react to me being gay and it makes me want to jump off the roof of my apartment. I know you all have been telling me that it gets better but I don't have anyone that supports me and I feel so alone. This is the first time in my life I have been thinking nonstop about suicide and even dream up ways of doing it. I don't have any hope and I don't have anyone that supports me.

#1 Asari, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. i thought the same way. nobody supported me and nobody listened to me and i at one point almost overdosed but i realized , its a permanent solution to a temporary problem. i chose not to give damn what they think because i cannot change who i am and if they dont accept me...then they can find someone else...fuck them is what i say. sorry if i didnt help

3. Polter91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you don't have supportive friends, they are not worthy of your friendship. You should look up PFLAG and find the closest group near you. Go to a meeting and let people know how you feel, you will find so much support there. Please do not take your life, I support you. :slight_smile:

4. AaronMed

Hey Asari,

I know you've probably heard it a thousand times, but I think you need to hear it again: it gets better, and you're a good person. You deserve to live. If your friends aren't supporting you and they make you feel bad about yourself, they're not your friends - they're small-minded people who don't deserve to be in your presence. You're strong, but as was previously said, suicide is a permanent attempt to solve a temporary problem.

Your life is valuable, and don't let anyone's words come even close to making you forget that. Either now or in a while, you'll mean the world to someone, so don't deny that person the benefit of having you around.

Stay strong and hang in there, we're all here and rooting for you (*hug*).

5. IkeaMonkey

I know we are just anonymous people on the internet, but we all support you here. It sounds like you need new friends. This is just me thinking out loud here, but I feel like it's easy for people to say stuff like "homosexuality is a sin" when it doesn't apply to them at all. Mostly because they just don't understand it. I don't know your parents, but maybe, just maybe they will change their tune if you come out to them. I know that's not always the case, but sometimes when it's their own child they start to become more accepting.

6. dudedette

It gets better, it really does.

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives"-William Wallace

You chose the life you want to live and make it a good one alright.

7. Ticklish Fish

*hug* (ok, I am bad at comforting, but giving my try here)

Surely they don't sounds like your friend, huh?

Every time we meet certain people in our lives, we may have strong bond with them, we may not. But with everyone who we contacted, they help us grow stronger, wiser, and better. Some people see breaking of friendships as end of the world, and some see breaking friendships as starting new ones.

Try your best and be optimistic! People sucks! But you don't have to!
    Continue living and make them regret for not being supportive

(also, you should consider ditching them)

*hoping I don't sounds way too optimistic that it's not even realistic lol*

8. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much for the support everyone.
    However I have a problem with this:

These are the only friends I have. It's not as simple as "ditching them." if I ditch my friends that don't support me- I won't have any friends. They are the only company I have.

9. IkeaMonkey

Honestly, I'd rather have no friends than friends that don't support me, tell me that I need to change, and call me a sinner. I understand though, it's not easy and it's hard to make new friends.

If not then I suggest you have a talk with them, if you haven't already, and tell them you don't like the way they are treating you.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Asari, I'm nobody to you. But I support you, for real. Know that much. Before I get too serious, I love the Mass Effect series too. Huge fan. :grin:

Related though, do you agree with those people that you are a sinner, or wrong just for being? Probably not. What is and isn't sin thankfully is not fact; it is, outside of the ten commandments, ENTIRELY interpretation by people with ulterior motives. We can only speculate on why religion came about the conclusion that homosexuality is wrong, but we (that is, the LGBT community, you, and I) have minds which are just as capable that say it isn't.

People are telling you it gets better. They're probably right. However, know that the opposite is true: for some it has been FAR worse, and they survived. You can survive because you are strong. I don't mean as far as muscles or mental endurance, but will to live. I can assume this because you're asking for help, and haven't just succumbed to your fate without a sound.

You are a fighter, and dare I say, a badass. Because in my mind, suicide is comparatively easy. Wham, bang, earthly troubles are over. But that is a sloppy, awful "solution". You leave all who loved you to pick up the pieces after you basically ragequit life. The guts required to actually follow through with suicide are surpassed by the courage needed to keep going. You are deciding to tell all that opposes you, "No." You'll rise above all of it, then feel prouder of yourself than you ever thought possible. And it all starts when you make the choice to live.

If you want to talk, don't hesitate for a second to message me somehow. I know it's not the same as face-to-face communication, but I am stone-serious when I say you're important to me. :slight_smile:

#10 Argentwing, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  11. Electra

It does feel bad right now. Terrible. But the solution can not be suicide. It is only pain you are feeling and there is a stronger emotion. Love.

I do not know when it will be, but in a few days, weeks, months or even longer, stuff will happen for you. New friends will appear. Things will move forward and you will feel good to be you. This will happen. Not right now, but unless you stick with it you will never know.

Keep strong

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't think about this, but it's really concise and better than a lot of what I said. Everyone dies, and so precious few get to live a long life too. Be thankful you still get to have both.

13. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much for the support. Even though I don't know any of you I feel a little less alone. I really want to go to a lgbtq support meeting so I can get some support but I keep chickening out. Maybe I'll gather the strength when I go back to school.

14. BiErik

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Asari, my name is Justin, iam 30 years old and I used to feel like taking my own life. I am bisexual and that really isn't the reason I felt that way, it was around 23 years old I recovered a repressed memory when I was six years old of my make cousin holding me down and raping me. My parents knew but my cousin was 13 so he didn't really get into trouble. I never felt so worthless in my whole life, I confronted my cousin and he denied it.

I didn't tell you this to make your problems seem lesser by comparison, but to let you know that it isn't about how hard you get hit or how easily you are knocked down, but that you have the courage to get back up. You can survive anything.

Eight years ago I would have died of humiliation saying what I just said to my mother, but now I can say it with confidence to a complete stranger. That doesn't occur over night, just one more day you don't step off of that roof is growth, one day at a time. Just don't loose hope and one day you will grow to a point where you can walk confidently knowing and loving yourself beret than you ever thought you could. Just make it through one day at a time, don't worry about tomorrow focus on today. Motions are not made in a day.

It really does get better it really really does, you just can't loose hope. it is a journey through barren desserts and traitorous jungles, but rocky though the trip is well worth it.