1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning... A friend's sexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GingerGuy, Dec 15, 2012.

1. GingerGuy

Hi guys. Recently, I have read the threads I've created so far and realized that none of them are very personal, meaning that I don't talk much about myself. Heck, even though I am an active member, I do not even have a profile picture! So I decided to change things a bit, and to ask for support in a delicate subject. This is how the story goes:

I have this friend (let's call him Peter), who, during my kindergarten years, was my best friend. He was a very cute child, and not to mention unusually polite and kind for his age. He wasn't antisocial or nerdy, but he treated adults with extreme respect and never caused any trouble at school. One day, we changed schools, and I did not hear from him in over ten years, until found him on Facebook in the middle of 2011. I was genuinely impressed on how handsome he turned out to be over the years, to the point I said it to him, which I rarely do out of fear that other boys believe I am gay. Anyway, we arranged to meet at the end of the past year, and now that I moved back to my native country, we officially retook our friendship, often Facebook talking and going out together. I got surprised after hearing he does not have a girlfriend, and so far has never mentioned having a serious one. For a boy with his looks, that is very unusual (he has been told he looks like Adam Levine and has already been approached by modeling agencies. It might seem like I'm exaggerating, but I am not).

I believe Peter to be a very unusual 17 year old. He does not smoke and drinks only when extremely pressured to do so (he did not drink at all in his graduation party, and also did not try to hook up with girls in there). Also, although he has reportedly hooked up with many girls, he never showed me a lot of interest in it. He tells me that "a girl has to be special to be kissed", that he does not like promiscuous girls, and that the ones who approach him are just not his type. All of this raised my suspicions, because they sound A LOT like what closeted gay boys say to justify their lack of attraction to women. I said similar stuff in the past. Sure, it might be that my friend is just an extremely prudish and polite gentlemen, and applaud him for that, because its really hard to find a boy like this nowadays. However, I also obviously hope that he has at least some degree of same sex attraction, because, honestly, he would give the perfect boyfriend :icon_bigg I'm just very confused about him, his manners and looks make him stand out from all the other guys I've been attracted to so far. What are your interpretations on his behavior? I'm really not sure on how to be sure if he's gay or not. And if he starts dropping stronger signals, how should I approach him to tell him that I desire him in many ways more than friendship?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apart from the "model good looks" and "not nerdy," he sounds fairly like me. I have always been polite to a fault, never smoked, had maybe one drink before I was of the legal age, didn't have sex until 19 with my second girlfriend, but never had my first one until 17, and she had a crush on me first anyway. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I wouldn't say it means he's gay or bi, but it's highly possible. If you haven't come out to him yet, it wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if you're close friends already. If he is anything other than laser-straight, it'll light a fire under his ass and he might tell you something similar.

#2 Argentwing, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  3. GingerGuy

I really like the expression "it will light a fire under his ass" xD

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, what else would make him get up and do something right away? :grin:

5. GingerGuy

Yeah, but I interpretated it in a "gayer" way, if you know what I mean.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like what, starting a fire by friction? Heh, maybe it'll lead to that if you're lucky.