1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignorance?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AyaLou, Dec 16, 2012.

1. AyaLou

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not entirely sure where I should post this, but as it's a rant, I guess I'll do it here.
    On Thursday in a PSHCE (personal, social health and citizenship education) class, we were doing the topic of homophobia. My teacher brought up the question 'Is it acceptable for gays and lesbians to adopt/have children?' and a guy on the other side of the room started going on about how it's wrong and sick and he said; 'Who would want two dads anyway, it's horrible, imagine growing up like that. It'd cause you to be gay as well' which angered me. But then my teacher went on to say 'Homophobia happens when people are ignorant to the gay community. They choose to be gay and nobody should judge them for that' (or something along those lines) and then I got really angry and had to leave the classroom.
    So because of my reaction, everybody now knows that I am gay and that was completely unintentional, ugh!!
    Sorry, I just had to get it out because it has annoyed me so much that teachers are telling students that being gay is a choice.

2. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I guess you have to deal with it…it's not exactly an ideal situation. But I don't think that it should be too bad; while your teacher is wrong, his/her heart seems to be in the right place. I don't think anything horrible will happen…hopefully it will just blow over.

3. Colours

It's funny how your teacher says homophobia is caused by ignorance to the gay community, and then says something completely ignorant.

Maybe she meant it differently, I mean in a way he/she is right, because it is our choice to live that way. Still, even if she did mean it that way, it was really poorly worded.

4. Yea, because straight people always raise straight children :rolle:

5. AyaLou

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah, I just had to kind of rant about it somewhere. ^^too true :slight_smile:

6. afterthefact

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ask your teacher if you can do a presentation, or maybe you have an assignment where you can choose your own topic to present and then explain when homophobia really is, and what are the markers, and how hateful and hurtful it is to hear/experience these things when they are directed at you or your loved one. I agree, sometimes it's easier to run to not be subjected to the hostility, and sometimes we just have to face it. Anyhow, be safe, you are a smart girl, and you didn't just sit through it, that takes a lot of courage.

7. Greendalehumans

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If homosexuality as a choice, and we live in an environment generally hostile to homosexuals, why would any but a select, rebellious, masochistic few ever choose it?

I too find it the height of irony that the teacher was talking about ignorance and something that could not be more absolutely wrong. :eusa_doh: But the fact that the OP is lesbian could be a great learning opportunity for everyone. Just be sure to include the notion that "straight couples leads to straight babies."

9. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow....

I would've raised my hand and been like "Let me school you guys..." :lol: Good job on coming out! :thumbsup: It's very gutsy and you had a right to stand up for yourself and others. (I wonder if anyone else in the class wasn't straight and was too afraid to say anything.)

10. AyaLou

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You all make some very good points. I think I might do that. It's about time I fully came out, anyway, I feel like I am ready to, and why not clear up some of those nonsense notions while I'm at it?
    I think this is what many people need to understand. It's as though some people think we do it like some people dye their hair different colours; to stand out and get attention, even though it can be bad attention.
    Aw, thank you! And there is a girl who is bi in that class, but I don't know about anybody else. She was pretty annoyed too, haha.