1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexual Male and dating a woman

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bidave, Dec 16, 2012.

1. bidave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi folks. Been looking on here for about a month now, but this is my first post. Hoping you can share your opinions. The TL;DR point to this post is: Do other Bi Men find it hard to find a woman who can accept that fact about you, even though they are not homophobic?

I am a 26yo bisexual man. For the last 2 years or so I've almost been exclusively interested in men, so much so that I was contemplating dropping the Bisexual bit and just saying I was gay. However due to my shift pattern at work, I have not been with anyone in that time. I never get to go out and meet people unless I can plan a night out 2-3 months in advance, and these always get cancelled last minute.

Recently, in the last 6 months, I've been hanging out with my friends wee sister a lot. She's 21 so nothing sinister. She knows I'm Bi, and is quite possibly the most OK person with it that I've ever met. She has been trying to get me out more often, and has been introducing me to some of the guys she knows.

The ironic twist is, I've grown to like her a lot now as we do hang out a lot i.e. going to the gym, shopping, skiing. She is the first woman in so long that I've had any feelings for, and they are really strong. I know she doesn't mind the whole Bisexual thing as a friend, but I don't know if she could handle it should we start going out. She is a little conservative when it comes to her relationships.

I did have one girlfriend in University who went weird when she found out I was Bi, so much so that it ended the relationship, but her best friend was a gay man and she hung around with so many other gay people that I didn't think it would matter. She said later, months after we broke up but we were still talking, that it was because she couldn't reconcile it within one of her own relationships. She was in no way Homophobic, but there was just that one barrier that she couldn't overcome.

I've been rejected in the past by other women who knew I was bi before hand. Only one woman seemed to be OK with it, but she cheated on me (with a woman, so maybe that's why she had no issues).

So, any thoughts?

2. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think this is the major problem. The best way to find out is to throw a 'sort-of' hypothetical situation at her. Tell her there's a girl that you might be interested in but you think that the whole bi-sexual thing might be a deal-breaker. And then ask her if she would date someone who is bi.

3. cemma

I never really thought about this as an issue but that really is terrible, especiallyu of that girl in college!
    If it were me in your shoes I'd probably have this discussion (minus the liking her part) with your friend and see what she says- it would most likely give you the answer of whether she would find it weird personally and probably also help to talk about what happened. Not every girl will be like your ex! Promise.
    Also I guess you have to test the boudries of if she also has feelings for you, it is a two way street after all and the worst would be to lose your friendship after youve become so close!