1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Luke Matt, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Luke Matt

So I was in the car today with my sister & mother, and my sister (for some reason) brought up the fact that one of my old friends (a guy) now has a boyfriend (thus, gay). So my mum didn't take this very well, started asking me personal questions (e.g. Did he come onto you..?) etc etc. Then she said something I wasn't expecting (keep in mind that the night before (when she was driving me home from work) she was going on about how opened minded she is..) and I quote: "Luke..It'd break my heart if I found out you were gay"

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Is that like..a threat?

Needless to say I'm not talking to her at the moment and I think both her and my sister are getting suspicious.

I don't really care anymore if they figure out.

EDIT: Oh, and I should add some of the stuff she said just for some amusement: She was saying how being gay isn't natural, how it was my friends mothers fault that he was gay and that no wonder ALL gay people keep getting hemorrhoids because of all the anal sex they're having.

Hah. The ignorance level is over 9000

#1 Luke Matt, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. hey dnt worry she may nt knw about gays fully,she juzz loves u a lot thats why.............juzzz talk to her slowly if tat helps !anyway i havent comeout yet too lol

3. burg

hey real sorry you had to hear that man.i get the chills when i hear people say stuff like that to there kids .shocking shit aye grrrr .on the plus side do you think you can get back in touch with your old friend.may be a real good way to help you come out.

4. Luke Matt

Yeah I've been thinking about getting in touch with him again. The only reason I haven't really is because, well, we had a bit a fight (it was so trivial, lol) a while ago.

Maybe I should..

5. burg

if you can find away i think you should..hope you have learnt the lesson (dont get in trivial fights with anyone lol)i kinda want to know what your fight was about. fuck im a nosy kunt (dont tell me )i always end up not caring anyway.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More than likely they know, or strongly suspect, that you're gay, and what you're seeing is their starting to go through the five stages of loss (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance). The "It would break my heart if you were gay" is an early denial response that is common with parents, and basically it's an "Well, if I pretend it isn't true, and say that I don't want it to be true, then it won't be".

Your mom will almost certainly come around, and likely already suspects. Whether you choose to come out now, or wait is totally your choice. But they're already thinking about it and processing it, so I wouldn't stress too much.

7. SomeNights

It's always funny how the world works. If I were you I'd approach it like this: if they do know, they just saved you a few steps, right?

8. Luke Matt

Thanks Chip.

It seems kind of silly, though. I wish she would just confront me about it already, because I'm at the stage now where I'll tell anyone that asks about my sexuality (well, by anyone I mean close friends and immediate family). I don't want to tell her because I don't feel I need to; she's the one who's having issues with it (which is ridiculous, as we all know here).

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2012 at 10:00 PM ----------

Hah, I guess :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I noticed my sister was getting a little defensive of me (or, in gay people in general) as well when they were having the discussion. When we got home I was feeling blue and trying to keep a low profile & she kept checking on me & asking what was wrong. I think she knows and I don't think she has a problem with it, hopefully. We are close.

#8 Luke Matt, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  9. SomeNights

nice, when i told my sister ...i am pretty sure we spent the night comparing guys. tuns out we both made out with one(not at the same time) ~~~~~~~~~awkward...........

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That... sucks, badly. I might have been mad enough to come out to her just then and see how she takes it. If she would get a broken heart over something as trivial as who a person is attracted to, she deserves it.

Sorry I have to say that about your mother, but that is pure bigotry and it is just destructive. And since when are anal participants prone to hemorrhoids? I've never heard that in my life.

11. Luke Matt

So this morning she brought up the whole "marriage to a woman" discussion again; can someone seriously be so oblivious..or do you think she's just repressing the fact that deep down she knows I'm gay?

I'm confused.

12. Capichino

Mabye try to come out to ur sis one if them or both and ur mom I think is just glad that ur straight (she thinks u are) and I think she would be sad that ur are gay if she knew becase like every mom the grandchild comes into the deck and they never think of adopting