1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really Depressed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Polter91, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Polter91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yesterday, I was happy and feeling great like I was on top of the world but now tonight, I just feel really depressed, not sure why. I do suffer from depression but I haven't been depressed in a really long time. Sometimes people or situations depress me, but as of now, there is no cause to this depression. I just feel unhappy. Maybe something is bothering me unconsciously and so I am not aware of what is bothering me. Ever get this way? Plus, I am agitated like every little thing is annoying me at the moment. :bang:

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had one memorable day where I wasn't depressed, but angry at everything. I was so on-edge, and what I could normally blow off had me just shaking. To make it worse, I talked to people online about it and they said I was on my man-period. Honestly, not the time to make fun of me.

It could be a brain chemical thing, really. I remind myself almost daily that the mind is governed by a cocktail of electricity and chemical reactions, and when one chemical is out of balance, it throws you off and it's really tough to reason yourself out of it. Just try to take a breather and remind yourself that life is okay. :slight_smile:

3. Amicus

I've experienced things similar to this. I like to think about it this way. Wouldn't you think it was weird if someone came up to you and told you that they'd never been sick for a day in their life? Just as sickness is a regular and expected part of life for the body, so are negative emotions such as depression and irritation for the mind. If you can't point to a specific situation, then as RSwordsman said, it's quite possibly just a hiccup in your brain functioning.

I know it's not always easy to sit with these feelings, so here's what works for me in these situations; you can take from it whatever sounds good to you. What happens when you try to force yourself not to think about pink elephants? The opposite: you think about pink elephants. Forcing yourself to be un-depressed will similarly backfire. Instead of fighting and trying to logic your way out of this state (which probably wouldn't work even if there were a rational reason you were feeling depressed, just cause that's how we humans roll :wink:), just make peace with yourself as you are in this present moment.

When you start to feel depressed and irritated, don't fight those emotions; roll out the red carpet for them! Say to yourself, "Welcome depression. Nice to see you again. How are you? Have you brought irritation with you again? Wonderful! Would you like a cup of tea?" Try to be content with yourself feeling as you do. "I am feeling depressed or irritated right now. And that's all right and natural." Once you've contented yourself with your depression, then you are no longer giving it power to disturb you.

If these unexplainable episodes keep happening, you might want to consult with a mental health professional to make sure that there aren't any major chemical imbalances in your brain that could be causing this.