1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Suggestions: Father/Gay Son

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jackm23, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jackm23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all. I recently came out to my parents. The response was generally positive. I'm home for the holidays and in a very earnest, kind way my dad expressed that he worries that he doesn't know the real me. That he feels like he's missed out on getting to know me.

I, of course, feel that I'm the same person he's always known. But, I appreciate and understand his sentiment. Does anyone have suggestions on how to "reconnect" with one's father as a gay man? I'm thinking self-help/relationship type books, but you may have other ideas. I did a cursory search on Amazon for books on the topic but found none. Just looking for any advice that forum members might have with how they've connected with their fathers since coming out.

----
    And, though it may not be relevant I thought I'd give some brief background on my dad and me. Simply because some context is usually helpful. I'm 25 and in law school. My dad is 54 and is a lower level executive at a company. My dad and I have had a good relationship all my life. Probably could have been stronger (we've never been best friends) but always mutually respectful and loving.

#1 jackm23, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  2. Gen

Gen

Hmmm well I dont know any books, and the documentaries that I do know are more centered around acceptance and religion..

Though it seems to me that the issue might be more personal, than situation. The feeling of feeling out of touch with a childs life is often born from a sense of not feeling included if their life. I am going to guess that sense you guys werent the best of friends, you probably didnt share too many commonalities with each other. You being gay probably made him feel even more different that you two were before.

In my opinion, the only way to reconnect with each other is to try to include each other more in your lifes. Find some hobbies that, even if you cannot do together, is alteast something that you can talk about. Try to be more social with each other.