1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"What will straight guy friends think of me?"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by flaviob, Dec 18, 2012.

1. flaviob

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Before I came out, what scared me the most was that people (especially straight friends) would look back on some memories and think that i was somehow attracted to or hitting on them.

I came out on September 9th of this month, in September 23rd I kissed a boy for the first time and now I'm dating one. I lost only one friend I care about, my best friend in my new school. But tons accepted me for who I am and it made me really happy, they've even met my boyfriend and are totally ok.

So what I really wanted to say is: stop thinking about what other people are gonna think. It is who you are and you won't be able to change it, the sooner everyone knows the better. "Will he think that when I slept in his house I was checking him out" or "Will he stop hanging out with me now?" are some of the things that I caught myself thinking frequently, but finally I let it go because it is something out of everyone's control. You can't stop people from thinking.

(I'm sorry for any English mistakes for I'm Brazilian)

2. Adelaida

Congrats to you for coming out! And thanks for your post. I catch myself thinking those things about my friends all the time when I think about coming out. But you are so right. It is out of everyone's control and I can't change what they will or won't think.

And, your English is really good! Welcome to EC

#2 Adelaida, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  3. Given To Fly

Hey, your English is great, no need to apologise :slight_smile:

You are so right though, I hesitated to tell one of my oldest friends because I was scared he was going to remember all the times we'd slept in tents together, and got changed in front of each other and stuff like that and think I was checking him out. In the end when I came out to him he treated it as no big deal, and we're still good friends. :thumbsup:

4. burg

lets just say im impressed with how you think ...congrats man.