1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkwardness with straight friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LiquidSwords, Dec 18, 2012.

1. LiquidSwords

Does anyone find it awkward around their straight friends or is this something I really shouldn't worry about?

It's just I really want to tell my mates but I keep seeing situations where I think it might be awkward if they knew. For example when I talk to people I tend to keep eye contact for a long time and I reckon people would find that weird if they knew I was gay, like I fancied them or something. I don't fancy any of my friends really and I don't want them to think I do or it would make our friendship awkward.

2. birdy

I told my best friend that I might be a lesbian and she was totally fine with it. I assured her that I wasn't attracted to her or anything and all was well. We still sleep in the same bed at sleepovers and hug. Sadly, I do think that it might be different for guys. Some are really homophobic and might feel uncomfortable. I think you might just want to see how they feel about gays before bringing it up.

3. mike19

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel the same way. It is one among several reasons that's keeping me from telling people.

I tend to keep eye contact longer than I feel I should with my friends, and sometimes the gay jokes (harmless, though for some odd reason ever-present between straight guys) go too far even for my own comfort. I'm usually the first one to draw the line for these jokes, but I feel like if I were to tell my friends the truth, they'd remember all of them and seriously question it.