1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invisible lesbian syndrome

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jinkx, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Jinkx

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in the process of figuring myself out and realising if I am a lesbian or not. Thinking I'm about a 5 on the Kinsey scale.

However I don't look like a lesbian. Well apart from the mohawk lol Gets me noticed at least lol However people never seem to be able to tell I like girls at all. People are always shocked when they find out. Was just wondering if anyone had any subtle advice on things I can wear etc to show that I like girls. I'm quite feminine however I love being comfortable. I'm usually just in band tshirts and medium baggy jeans and high tops.

Any tips?

2. Ticklish Fish

i don't see how that's a problem.....

why do you want people to know with those subtle things?
    or rather, why do you want to fit in certain stereotypic fashion?

3. Hexagon

Wear a rainbow wristband or something. But don't try to fit a stereotype just for the hell of it. If its important for people to know, then tell them.

4. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Wear something rainbow like a bracelet or necklace :slight_smile:

5. eac74

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    IIi completely know what you mean. I want people (okay, other gays) to know I'm gay so that they recognize me as a possibility. It sucks when you feel unnoticed. I think you should just be who you are and then somebody will come along and be the lucky gal who knows. You could try wearing a rainbow bracelet if you want, too.

6. Jinkx

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's my reasoning. I want other girls who like girls to know I'm the same so they recognize me as a possibility. I don't want to change how I dress. I always have worn what I like without thinking about others opinions. I meant (as many of you have suggested) simple things like jewellery. I do have a rainbow band I got at my first pride this year :slight_smile: Was a fantastic day :slight_smile:

I'm just finding it hard to get into this new part of my life. I don't really go to places that are easy to meet girls and I don't really have the friend circles for it so I have to start somewhere to meet someone lol

7. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ditto. I kind of wish there was a surefire way for other gay/queer women to know that I'm also like them besides wearing rainbow-colored articles of clothing, although that is a pretty neat idea that I might try out soon! It does make one wonder, though. Like for example, I keep thinking how kickass it would be if all gay girls had a nice "secret perfume" that only other gay girls could smell. :lol: Or if all gay girls had a small, invisible neon sign floating above their head that only other gay girls could see. The neon letter "L" for lesbian, "B" for bi, "P" for pansexual, "O" for other. :thumbsup: Might be a little annoying after a while to have other people coming up to you all day, but hey, it beats not meeting anybody at all, right? (I hope...) :lol:

8. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know how to let people know either. I am the girliest lipstick lesbian you'll ever know lol! And Everyone seems really shocked when they find out I'm gay. I agree with other people are saying. Maybe try the rainbow gear. :grin:

9. ryanninjasheep

Or you could go all in and wear a rainbow hoodie to school every day...

10. IkeaMonkey

No that's cool, like in video games you walk up to someone and the sign pops up.

11. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From your description, if I were to see you in public and know nothing about you, I would assume you were gay. But yeah, definitely wear a rainbow bracelet, belt, necklace, or something. :icon_wink

12. The Queen Bee

Huh???
    What do lesbians look like???

Anyways... Rainbow paraphernalia.
    It's somewhat annoying sometimes, but it's the most obvious way.

That said, I have a "Say 'NO' to homophobia" rainbow bracelet and some people still are "Oh, so you support??"... which I reply "I am"... and they're like O______O
    You'd think it'll be obvious. *sigh*
    I'm tomboy-ish... but I guess most people think I'm a tomboy and not a tomboy lesbian.
    It definitely depends on the gaydar of the person, so something obvious definitely helps.

13. FemCasanova

Made me want one of those too! It really sucks to be inflicted with the ILS. A secret sign would be great, rainbows are a little obvious, lol! But nice, though, and should look good with band Tshirts and such. I usually wear very classy clothing (in style, not prize, lol), so it might stick out more on me, but I`d do it :slight_smile:

With classy I meant pure black, no accessories other than what matches my shoes, never more than two colors, etc. I don`t mean that T shirts and other things are somehow less nice or anything, which some people sometimes misunderstand and say I seem to have a superiority attitude. But where I come from, classy means simply "simple" "not a lot of colors" "matching", etc..

#13 FemCasanova, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  14. Jinkx

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I was referring to the obvious, stereotypical look. Which I don't want I'm happy with how I am.

I agree with the rainbow stuff being annoying sometimes. I don't want to run around head to toe in rainbows and be visually ramming it in people's faces lmao I'm tomboy-ish and people are the same with me.

I love the perfume idea! That would be awesome :slight_smile:

I'm the same I wear a lot of plain black or just shirts with cool designs on. I'm thinking about maybe just getting a necklace or something with the two female symbols or something like that. Something simple and not in people's faces but those who pay attention to detail will notice.

15. IrisM

That sounds cute! I'd make one on a black band with the symbols carved into a pair of silver coloured pieces of metal, then slip on maybe some beads or charms to make it look nice. =)

16. Jinkx

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a lovely idea :slight_smile: sounds pretty :slight_smile: I've found some nice pendants online :slight_smile:

17. Jim

Jim

I had that problem too. I mean I didn't want to look like a stereotype, but it would make it so much easier if you could just know if someone was bi or gay. It would save me the pain of falling for straight girls all the damn time haha.

18. Jinkx

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha yeah! Or being out and hitting on a straight girl thinking she was flirting with you when she was actually just being nice... That's embarrassing lol

19. Jim

Jim

That's never happened to me, I'm too awkward to flirt, but I can imagine that being embarrassing!

20. Jinkx

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bless you :slight_smile: Yeah it's a pretty awkward moment... I just do my best to laugh it off :slight_smile: