1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you know?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Unsuregirl, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Unsuregirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know this will sound crazy, but I'm trying to figure myself out. What made you guys realize what you were, who you were. I'm struggling, and in alot of ways I feel as if I'm programmed wrong, i've always felt this way. So now I guess i'm trying to fix that. I know there isn't actually anything wrong with me, but I feel that way. Does that sound crazy? :bang:

2. i haven't put a label on myself since i am questioning as well but i can tell you why i started questioning. i started to question because i had a crush on a girl and i thought it was just that i admired her but then my feelings grew and ever since i haven't stopped questioning but i guess there is a reason behind questioning.

3. birdy

That isn't crazy at all! I'm definitely questioning too and it's really difficult because I thought that people just knew when they were gay. It's so confusing and frustrating, but just allow yourself to have whatever feelings you have. That's what I'm trying to do at least.

I started questioning because I had got a major crush on a girl.

4. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

I knew when i came to the realization girls did nothing for me that i could only be friends with girls. I never really questioned myself though it took awhile to accept it myself I hope you all figure it out :slight_smile:

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I considered the possibility of bisexuality when I got hard checking out guys in my middle school locker room, and confirmed it eventually when the idea of a gay relationship appealed to me.

I'm thankful I didn't really have any conflict with myself. It was sort of like "Wait a second... I like dudes too? Awesome! :slight_smile:" Of course, telling people this was far off on the horizon, but I was personally okay with it.

6. FishMan27

I knew after I hit puberty and I had fantasies about guys. Also, anytime I saw boobs, I was just like, "What's the big deal?"

7. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I was always noticing guys rather than girls, thinking about guys, etc. for the longest time I was in denial. I just told myself that guys must think about guys too right?!? Then I finally realized I was gay when my buddy showed me a picture of boobs and was like "I've gotten more excitement from looking at a Toyota Corolla."

8. Shyguy5

I kinda always knew I was gay. I mean at the age of 4/5 I had a crush on the first red ranger and didn't question it. I don't know if other gay guys had dealt with this but somehow I could understand or relate to how girls felt. I don't even consider myself masculine or feminine. I just always felt "different" from people.

Also, when I was about 11 or 12, I was like "boys are dating girls and I know I like boys but I could try and imagine what it's like to date and like a girl" (day dream sequence) I then decide naw it doesn't feel right.

9. JohnJuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I have always known that I was gay, since sometime around the third grade. I didn't ever really question it, but it did take a long time to fully accept it. I went thru a phase where I wished I wasn't gay, but deep down I knew it wouldn't change anything.

I don't think you are programmed "wrong". If anything it is just "different" There really isn't anything to fix, because there really isn't anything wrong with you.

No, you are not crazy. Take your time and follow your heart.

10. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I realized whenever my girl friends talked about their boyfriends i was like eww I don't want that. Once I got out of high school I realized I wasn't just going through a boys have cooties phase.

11. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    :lol: Fair enough.

Unsuregirl, I'm really still struggling with questioning just like you, but I think one of the reasons I started questioning in the first place is because I noticed that I started really wanting to be affectionate with a girl. It wasn't always sexual, but more like I had a desire to hold a girl's hand, kiss her, make dinner for her, etc. And honestly? One of the next best ways (IMO) to know more about your sexuality is... masturbation. :lol: What I mean is to just think back on what you usually think of when you masturbate. Is it about a girl? A guy? Girls 90% of the time, but occasionally guys? Fantasies don't always = sexual orientation, but it can hold certain clues to what you're really interested in and what you might like.

12. needshelp

well, to tell you the truth, i didn't catch a clue that i might be gay until some years later when it dawned on to me looking back at all my behavior and a certain thing that i was doing at the moment. otherwise, it never would have occurred to me. it's something that will hit you during a moment where you'll just letting yourself go in your natural zone and then you do something where you realize that you're gay.

it hit me when i was 12, went into denial, until i couldn't deny it anymore even when i tried hard as hell to cover up.

13. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh! And this might not be relevant to questioning but more my personality, but I also noticed that for me, when it comes to guys... I tend to freeze up. And not in a good way. It's almost like I start to shut down emotionally and get VERY paranoid. And now that I think about it, I've acted like that around guys for most of my life. I was usually fine when I could tell that they just wanted to be friends, but whenever a guy clearly tried hitting on me or started being sexual, I ended up feeling like I was 5 years old again and I just wanted to run away to the next corner, lol. I'm not really that way around girls at all. But then again, that could just be my lame social skills kicking in. :eusa_doh:

14. TotallyaGirl

TotallyaGirl Guest

Let's see, I realized I was trans after alot of contemplation. I always felt sad and depressed. I had a relatively healthy social life, but I just felt so alone and disconnected. I knew something was up then. The first real giveaway was when I saw a really pretty girl, and my first thought was not "I tap that" but more like "OMG SHE IS SO PRETTY I WANNA BE HER!" I began to explore my personality and realized that I was completely fabricated, and that I was really a girl inside

15. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG I am the same way! I also really feel grossed out when a guy touches me . Even a hug or a pat on the arm makes me cringe.

16. rainbowturtle

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Im going throught the same thing. But im pretty sure im a lesbian. Im like 80% sure. But thats why im here; to figure out who i am. Im hoping this website will help me :grin:

"Listening to the news! Again?"
    "Well, it changes everyday, you see," said Harry."

17. Oregontinker

I think if there weren't rules established by others there wouldn't be all the questioning and guilt. I think most people would experiment with both sexes and settle on what felt comfortable to them. But alas we try to live up to other peoples definition of normal. Be yourself and do what comes naturally to "you". Dont guess try things, there is no right or wrong.

18. rainbowturtle

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    " Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it." -Albus Dumbledore

19. GayforGuys

When I finally got to kiss the guy I had been crushing on for so long...right there and then I knew I was Gay.
    And for the first time, I was actually happy about it!

I used to just think it was a phase, but for the first time I felt comfortable being me, never looked back since then.

20. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like quoting Dumbledore is so appropriate :icon_wink