1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does one talk to others online?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Revan, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My question is going to be posed oddly because as we know certain sites are banned from actually being identified. But how exactly does one message people on said sites? I mean hell I have tried everything from a "hi how's it going" to a "blah blah blah this is me in a nutshell" where I tell more about myself. But NOTHING. I either find out the person reads the message and I never have anything in my inbox, or the person has read and deleted the message with no response. I know they suck but it's hard to meet gay guys in this city not that it's not big nor small but it's just...maybe I should start going to the club more often or wait till the new school year starts and go to the nearby university's gay club meet someone there.

Anyway main question, how does one talk because apparently too short a message and it's like they might be saying "Try harder stupid" in their head, or a long message might result in "whoa tmi." because apparently the gays in my city are rather shallow and can't handle real conversation...

2. FemCasanova

Hmm ... I am not the most successful at internet dating myself, but I did meet my current girlfriend there. One tip is; be personal, but not too personal. Show what you are about, what interests you. Write up stuff you like to do (not sexual, lol), interests, add some jokes, quotes, that ressonate with your humor and your personality. People get interested when they see humor, good mood, good nature, and have a picture on your profile, one with you on, where you`ve fixed yourself up a bit. Not a nude or anything, maybe a facial with a bit of chest :wink: What people always do, after having read the message, is check out your profile. Make sure the profile portrays someone who has a sense of humor, who has hobbies and activities he enjoys, who maybe has goals in his life. It should be interesting, and not say everything, so that people get curious and want to know more. Keep the first message rather short, maybe put in a comment on something you liked on their profile, to prove you actually checked them out and read the thing, if they wrote up their favorite series, ask them what their favorite character is, give a sincere compliment on their picture, or if lack of, one of their interests or something on their profile (Dude, that Metallica shirt is awesome!)

I think you will find that googling how to make a good profile that attracts people can give helpful tips! :slight_smile: Good luck!

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My standard response is... if you're looking to meet people on sites such as you're speaking of, you're pretty much wasting your time. Those sites are mostly for random sex and hookups, so the majority of people are not going to respond if you don't make it clear that you're looking for a hookup. And that, too, is why you have the perception that people are shallow and can't handle conversation... because, in clubs, bars, and on sites such as you're speaking of, they either can't, or don't want to, have conversations.

You'll do much better with other sorts of opportunities... such as on-campus clubs, or local gay hiking clubs, potluck dinners, game nights, book clubs, etc... whatever your interest is, if you're in any but the smallest cities, there are generally a few such places out there. If you must use the Internet, the social media sites oriented toward activities and in-person small group meetings are often better choices.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a feeling cause a certain fishy site (:wink:) is the one I'm talking about and despite people putting down interested in long term or w/e...no response lol

5. SFSorrow

I've never really messaged many people first, even on dating sites I'm too reserved to make the first move, but when I get a message from someone else I get loads that just say 'hi', which is fine and personally I'd reply to that but doesn't give the impression that you've put much effort in, so I'd much rather get a message which gives some indication that you've read my profile and something about me has caught your interest. Otherwise it just seems like you may just be sending out messages to everybody indiscriminately in the hope that a couple of people will reply.

I don't know about hookup orientated sites if you're asking about them, I've never used one but I imagine a 'hi' would be plenty for that.

6. Pat

Pat

LOL... Yeah, that's life man. I keep some of these apps and sites because I meet cool people periodically. But for the most part, I've come to the realization that it really doesn't matter what I say. If they find you attractive, they'll listen to damn near anything you have to say. It's all attraction based.