1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age gap relationship

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shbsurf, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Shbsurf

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm in a very complicated first gay relationship with someone much younger. I'm 38 and he is 21. Neither one of us is out, although he seems more ready than me as he is from a very liberal European country, and I come from a very conservative Christian family. On top of it all there is the distance. We manage to see each other a few times a year but its very hard. We have been together for two amazing years and want to take the next step. Needless to say that's why I ended up on this site. I have no clue where to go from here. Any advice would be great.

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow! Well first of all, congrats on two years! Being in a relationship with someone so much younger is definitely a challenge. My first real relationship was when I was 16 with a 24-year-old woman. It was very hard. It actually didn't last because her family was so conservative and very involved in church. But, I still prefer to be with women that are older than me, so whatev, lol.
    Anyway, the next step... I guess that would be to have him become a US citizen. Unless of course you want to move to his country. Though, before making that step, I would definitely suggest you be 100% sure that you're ready.

3. curlycats

sounds to me like the logical next step if you two seriously want to be together is to start looking into visa options for your partner in your respective countries? for which of you would moving be the most feasible....? is moving even feasible for either of you? those are the types of questions that you two need to start asking yourselves, if you haven't already. moving internationally is complicated and costly, sadly, but if you two are ready for that step then definitely look into what it'll take to make it happen.

coming out, to me, would be on the back burner compared to being physically together.