1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it possible to make yourself be happy?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GayJay, Dec 19, 2012.

1. GayJay

Don't really know what I'm looking for with this tread. But basically my mum knows I want to be a boy, wish to transition and things. I've always hid it from her, even though it was always there for me and causeing problems like all the fights I had when I was a bit younger. But she never knew about none of it, so she was a little shocked when I told her.
    That was about 12 months ago, and I just can't handle her any more.
    I was feeling pretty low right now anyway and was kinda sacking college off a bit,so my mum came home kicking off about it. And told me stop acting pathetic and get a grip. She said all I want is sympathy and i haven't got any mental problems.
    By that she means being transgender and a mood disorder my psychartrist told me I have but I don't belive him anyway, I'm in denail about it even though all the things he said about it do fit my childhood.
    She forbidding me to continue identifying as male. She just won't sit and talk with me she just screams offensive stuff at me. I'm feeling like I hate her right now.

So yeah... Thinking I might just have to pretend I'm a girl and pretend I'm happy with it. To stope her arguing and not even wanting me to be around any more.
    She said you can make yourself belive something and be happy with it if you try hard enough and that's what I should do. Force myself to be happy as female.

Gonna stop now I'm rambling, sorry

#1 GayJay, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can make yourself be happy, but of course it isn't as easy as literally sitting there and willing it to happen.

If your mum insists that one can force oneself to be happy, why doesn't she do it in order to accept your male identity? Unless of course she feels that gender issues are wrong or somehow unnatural. If she never changes her mind, it might end up as you vs. her until somebody gives up.

^^I wish with all my heart that that doesn't occur, but it is YOUR life on the line. She has no deep concerns about herself, seeing as her major problem with you is external. Not to mention that any parent should be willing to sacrifice themselves in any way necessary for the good of the kids. By this philosophy, you have the right to be yourself and pursue happiness, first by being male, slapping on some shades and telling everyone else to "Deal with it."

3. Jordz

Tell her to take her own advice :thumbsup:

4. GuidingLight

I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time. Its definitely not fun, You are created perfectly in the womb. You were formed exactly as you were meant to be born. Maybe you were given a harder set of cards than others because you are strong. I hope you find at least a little bit of peace here if not else where in your life.

From personal experience, I've hid who I am(gay) from my parent(s). When I told my aunt and grandmother who I thought were the "open-minded " people in the family I was told that I am a monster. I am choosing "this kind of lifestyle" blah blah blah. But, Since I have found this forum and the really cool people on it, I have begun to accept myself and maybe even start to like myself. I hid who the real me is/was. I completely regret that I hid in the first place..still a work in progress lol

5. GayJay

Thanks for all the advice. I told her to take her own advice, but she just said she doesn't need to because I'm the one causeing the problem. And if I just stopped all this weird faking no one would have this. So I told her fine if she won't accept it eventually she will just lose the connenction with me as her child.
    Just wish I was a little older so I didn't have to live in the same house as her and see her every single day...
    But I guess knowing I have awesome people on here who can be open minded and accept it is a start :slight_smile:

6. wandering i

Good... hang in there. I know it's so hard to share a home with someone who won't understand. But i'm very glad you know that someday you will move out and have your own life.

7. olin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Meditate. Exercise. Take a nap. Take a walk. Mostly, just take some time.

8. GayJay

Exercise I do but that just seems to build my fustrations that I'm not like other guys. Storms going on at the moment so walking is out of the wuestion. And my mum won't let me take a nap cause she thinks its lazy and dossing around being unuseful.
    But hmm meditating this sounds interesting, I stall have to research it and try it. Thanks
    :thumbsup: