1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it sound as if I am lesbian or bisexual? Quite long, but please help :)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rachael222, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Rachael222

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there. I've been confused about this since I was in my early teens (I'm now 20). This might be a bit lengthy, but please bear with me :slight_smile:.

I'm having a pretty hard time figuring out what my sexuality is. There have been signs that I am not straight since I was say 13ish (looking at women in magazines etc) - I passed these things off and thought they would go away - it's only been in the past year or so that I've actually come to the conclusion that they probably won't.

This is not to say that I have never found men attractive, although if I'm honest my attraction to them seems to be decreasing as I get older. I just don't know why this is - I had several crushes on boys during high school, roughly at the ages of say, 15/16. And again, last year, I had a short-lived crush on my male flatmate. I dated one really lovely guy when I was 18 for about 6 months, but as soon as it was getting any way serious I broke it off.

In terms of liking girls, the first girl that I really fell for was one of my very straight best friends when I was 17, which lasted properly for around 2 years. We've drifted apart now which I guess is no bad thing really considering. Sometimes I worry I'll never meet someone like her again. Since then, there have been two other girls that I've liked, both of course are straight. Now there's a girl in my class at college who I literally can't stop thinking about, euughh. Again, I'm pretty sure she's straight. Sometimes I wonder if it’s the lack in availability of these girls that makes me fancy them so much.

Anywaaaay, now that you know the background story, these are the things I'm looking for advice on:

1) I know I'm not straight - but do I sound gay or bisexual? I really don't know. I'm over-thinking the whole thing. I know only I can answer that question, but some outside perspective would be useful.

2) Why on earth am I this way? I just don’t understand, it doesn’t make sense to me. Could it be as a result of supposed lack of success with men, or because I somehow conditioned myself into finding women attractive when I was younger? Or maybe due to fear coming from inexperience? Am I trying to find more motherly love or something (I already have it)? Lol. I feel at fault, and as if I’ve done something to become like this. My first kiss resulted in me being bullied for two years (romantic eh) as it transpired that the boy in question was “dating” a girl in the year above me (I was 15, didn’t know this at the time). I’m obviously over it now but could this have somehow scarred me and made me unwilling to be with men? Just theories I have. I think too much.

3) Parents. I've told my parents I'm bisexual and although they weren't exactly delighted, it doesn't seem to be a huge issue, but they never ever would talk about it. I'm an only child and they are both only children, so I know how much they want me to marry a man and have their grandchildren. I understand this; I just dread disappointing them if it doesn’t happen. I do really want kids though, I worry about ending up old and alone and if I don't go down the heterosexual path of marriage and kids as I don’t have any siblings or cousins. Ahhh.

4) Friends - I am extremely "straight-looking/acting". The vast majority of people have literally no idea I'm thinking this way. I'm terrified people will distance themselves from me or think I fancy them or something ridiculous like that (most of my friends are straight girls). How can I explain to people that this is not that case? I guess that's my main question. I’m potentially moving in with 5 of my friends in March and I want to put this out there before we do – I just don’t know how and I’m scared in case they will be awkward about it or not want to live with me.

5) I'm scared my orientation will change - right now, if I'm truly honest, I would say I am at least on the "gay-side" of bisexual. I'm just worried, that if I was to come out as gay, that I would meet a man that I really liked or that I would become more inclined towards men over time. I know this is unlikely, but it's still a worry ie. What would I do then? I just really don’t want to “come out wrong”.

6) Continuation of 4, I'm worried that if I come out, I won't find women attractive any more. Sounds stupid, but I generally am attracted to “unavailable” people. I hardly know any gay women, and those that I do know vaguely (one one), I just don't fancy. I understand I'm hardly going to fancy all other lesbians but I’m worried that women will somehow “lose their appeal” if I am finally able to go out there and try and meet one.

Phew. Sorry that was so long - it was actually very therapeutic to write haha! Thanks for persevering and any advice would be much appeciated :slight_smile: xxx

2. Niko

Alright I'll try to answer your questions for you; but sexuality is a very confusing thing. I'm even confused about mine.

1) If you're sexually attracted to women but not men then you are lesbian. If you're sexually attracted to both, you're bisexual...though from what you say, it sounds like you're most likely romantically attracted to men, and you don't have sexual desires for them. Sexual desires and having romantic feelings for someone are two different things.

2) You were, well "born that way". It's a natural thing and there's nothing you could've done to change it. Embrace it, you're different then the norm. It can be a beautiful thing.

3) For kids, you could always adopt. With whoever you choose to be with.

4) Well, hopefully they know that just because you're gay/lesbian doesn't automatically make you attracted to everyone of the same sex. If they don't believe you ask them if they're attracted to everyone of the opposite sex; and if they answer no, then tell them it's no different.

5) You don't have to label yourself as anything. A label is just a label, it means nothing.

6) Your sexuality won't change. That's like me saying, if I came out I'll stop feeling like a man trapped inside a female's body. If anything it helps to come out, and it relieves a lot of stress if you have a large support group that is.

I guess, in conclusion, don't worry about it too much. You are who you are, and you like who you like. You don't need to label yourself anything if you're not ready for it. Hopefully that helped some. (*hug*)

#2 Niko, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  3. Unsuregirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So i'm struggling with the same issue at the moment so I'm afraid I wont be that much help. :eusa_doh:But i'll give it my best shot.

If you are Worried to much about coming out wrong perhaps Bi would be your best option, that way you can go either way and no one can say anything. You may be more towards the lesbian side. But only you will know your true feelings.

As far as your friends go, I agree with Niko. Just explain to them, that its the same way for you as it is them. There are some people you are attracted to and others you just arn't. Explain to them that living with them does not mean you are going to fall in love with them or get a crush on them. Tell them that you have no feelings for them as far as that goes, im sure you have seen them in bathing suits and more than likely with nothing on. I don't know about you but my friends and myself have all changed in the same rooms and well I think i have seen almost every part of them, its just a friend thing, and it doesn't make me feel anything, I don't know they just arn't what how to say gets to me.

Children, :thumbsup:thats easy. I have a daughter a wonderful daughter though she got here in an unpleasant manner, you may not want to have that experience or I would not wish it on you anyways. Though I do want more children I plan on having a test tube baby lol, that way it is still my child and the father has donated his sperm for the purpose :lol: My lesbian friend and her ex girlfriend also had a baby using a friend of theirs. Plus there is adoption, kids are easy to get. That sounds so awful putting it that way, but you can always have a baby sweetheart, when your ready if you want one you can have it.

And finally NOTHING IS WRONG WITH YOU. God (sorry if you don't believe) made you this way, or it was programed into you from birth. Everyone is different. Thats just they way we are, the way we are made. I have also said I feel as if I'm programmed wrong. But we arn't I know that, its just hard. I'm just now coming to the realization that I may be bi, Ok I am bi, there I think I said that for the very first time, I'm just trying to figure out the same as you if i'm bi or just full out lesbian. But I don't want to get into my story on your post lol, that just wouldn't be fair to you. Its all in your heart sweetie follow your heart (*hug*)