1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

He's going to hate me...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by brittstevenson, Dec 19, 2012.

1. brittstevenson

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my dad is going to hate me...i want to tell him so bad that i like girls and i know he wont accept it or isten to anything i have to say...i just hate lying to him...i dont know what to do...my step mom seems accepting but i am scared she will tell dad...i dont want him to hate me or stop loving me. he was in the military so he already has that mindset. im not sure how to approach the situation

Brittstevenson

2. hmm...well...my dad isn't being accepting of my questioning. he believes your either gay or straight , that there is no in between. but i think that you should tell him....just to get it off your chest and if he reacts negatively then you just have to tell him....you cant change who you are and regardless whether he accepts you or not...that you'll always love him even though your disappointing he doesn't accept you but i don't think he'll hate you ...i doubt ..he may not like it but i don't think he'll hate you

this is my statement ...im sorry if i didn't help.

3. RainbowMan

Strangely, I'm feeling the exact same way about my parents. Looks like from your status that you have a therapist, are you working on this with them? I just had my first session this week and came out at that time (for which he called me "brave" but I'm not exactly sure that's the word that I'd use to describe it). I think that they can help you with strategies. I really hate hiding a part of myself from my family.

Sorry I don't have alot more to say than the best of luck! Hang in there!

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is your relationship like with your dad right now? Are you close? Or not so much? If you think the news will come as a shock to him, you could try building up your relationship first. I did that with a few family members - including, incidentally, my dad - and I think it helped a lot. It delayed the process, of course, but if you give them more to latch onto when they're re-evaluating their understanding of you and your life, it may go better when you do talk to him.

Also seconding RainbowMan - have you talked to your therapist about this? If so, what did she/he say?

5. Capichino

Whant until he's not in the army becase that can be a huge distraction and it could distract him while if he is in war that could not be the best thing