1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do they know?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AaronMed, Dec 19, 2012.

1. AaronMed

Hey guys! So, I'm starting to seriously suspect that my parents suspect I'm gay, and I'm thinking that's a good thing, but I'm not sure if I'm reading it right. I've been acting more like myself around them lately, endive managed to get up the courage to let my more effeminate characteristics show, so yay for that :grin:. I get the feeling at my mom suspects I'm gay, and I think my dad might as well but we'll see - that's for another post later when I know more.

Okay, so here's a breakdown of gay-related events over the past little while with my mom:

1. I told her about a week ago that I found out someone I wrote a term paper with was gay. Kind of a lie, as it was pretty obvious and I knew right away, but I did just meet his boyfriend, so close enough :slight_smile:. Anyways, she furrowed her eyebrows and asked me if I was okay with that in a way that suggested she was worried about my feelings. I told her, "Yeah, absolutely! It matters not to me." She smiled and let it go, but I think that from this she may have taken a hint. What do you guys think?
    2. Me and my mom watch Nip/Tuck, and it was revealed in one episode that Dr. Quentin Costa was gay. She seemed to react pretty well to it, it didn't really phase her.
    3. One of the people she works with, the chair of an advisory committee, is very flamboyantly gay, and he knows a makeup artist in Hollywood. We laughed about how stereotypical that was, and she seemed really amiable to the concept that not all gay guys wear pink and glitter :grin:. Though I do like both of those things, but that's irrelevant, lol
    4. One of the staff that works for her is a lesbian and has been married for many years. My mom just found out because she mentioned that her wife was dying of pancreatic cancer, and she seemed really compassionate - she didn't even think twice about the relationship being same-sex.
    5. When I find something really funny, I have a pretty high-pitched, effeminate laugh. I think it might be a dead giveaway, lol

There's more I'm missing, but what do you guys think, does she know? Am I reading too much into this, or does she really suspect I'm gay?

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No one can say whether she knows or not, she's the only person to answer that. However, often times many parents do realize that their children probably are gay before they come out to them.

3. RainbowMan

Heh, not my type! I like baseball, favorite color is blue, and I'm the most "normal" guy you'll ever meet (which is part of why it's taken me so long to accept myself. I think).

Anyhow, like Lance said, I think that she very well may have an inkling, and even if she doesn't, it sounds like she would be cool with it if you told her. My personal feeling is to go for it!