1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What words..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by brittstevenson, Dec 20, 2012.

1. brittstevenson

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am going to come out soon to my family and was wondering what words to use...? odd question but i honestly can't think!!!! everytime i try to tell them i get all choked up and cant think of the words:bang:...anyone give me any suggestions on how to say what i need to say? or any tips really... THANKS!!!

Brittstevenson

2. FemCasanova

I would consider speaking from the heart, but I know EC has some letters with inspiration that you could use. Just be honest, direct, sensitive and try not to get disappointed if their reaction is not exactly what they expected, they might need a little time to swallow the information :slight_smile: Or at least that is how I would do it. I would tell them that you have someting to tell them, something important, and that their support is important to you, but you understand if they need some time to think about it. And then just straight out, that you are gay, but you love them and hope they love you too. Something like that.

*hug!* Good luck!

3. brittstevenson

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! :thumbsup:

4. shovelman

I just came out to my friend today and what I did was just tell him that I was going to tell him something about me that one else knows and that I trusted him enough to tell him and if he had any questions or need some things to be clear I would gladly respond to them and if he felt like he could handle me tell him something of that degree he then said that I could trust him and he would try his best to understand that right after that I panicked a bit but then just told him "I'm gay" and that was it he then asked me a few things like how long have I've know and things like that and it all turned out well and now it seems like our friendship will become stronger. I hope this helps but I think there is no other easier way to say it than being just forward with it and hope for the best but make sure you are comfortable with telling them first.

5. Spectre

You could try an approach that would start the conversation...

You: "Mom, Dad, I just thought you should know, I really have no interest in men, sexually or otherwise."

Mom/Dad: "What are you telling us?"

You: "I prefer women."