1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attracted to girls, but don't think I'm good enough for them?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Thieves, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Alright, so has anyone dealt with this before?

Just to make things clear, I know that I am attracted to women and I think about them almost all the time. But the thing is... I can fantasize all I like, but whether it's fantasizing or actually meeting girls in real life, I get so nervous -- especially if the girl is obviously very pretty or beautiful. I hate to say this, but it's the type of feeling where I almost feel like I'm not good enough for her/them. I know that women are just normal people like everyone else, I mean hello, I am one! So how could I not know, right?

But for some reason, it just isn't that simple for me. This is kind of TMI, but whenever I fantasize about kissing women and being with them sexually, it's always this really nice fantasy with this really attractive woman... and when I'm done, part of me wonders why I bother. Or that I won't get a girl to like me. I guess because I see women as these wonderful, beautiful creatures that I just want to sit and admire them from afar sometimes. Like they're so beautiful, but I like them and I want to know what it's like to actually be with one, so eventually I have to make some sort of move, right?

Yet there's this small voice in my mind sometimes that just goes, "Wow, that one girl is really cute. I wonder if she's gay? Well, even if she is, she's way too pretty for me. She probably doesn't find me attractive and wouldn't even be interested." Just this entire stupid conversation inside my head about why it wouldn't work out.

Ugh. This came off as more of a rant than anything, but I guess it's a good thing to get it off my chest. I rarely feel this way with guys, but I just want to know how I can be more confident with girls, or how I can stop thinking I'm not good enough. :frowning2:

2. None

On the dark side of the moon, running to the east.
    Its ok .. we are all ranting over here :lol:

First of all .. don't ever think "I am not good enough" .. if you do that you will never get anyone .. even if the most beautiful girl -to you- came up to you and said "I am only into girls and I think you are the cutest person in the whole wide world" .. the only response in your head would be "I am not good enough" .. just try to get out of that mind set ...

Try not to use your mind too much .. don't fantasize in your head about what will happen next and end up making up that person's character in your head to suit your fantasy .. just don't .. stop your mind and see it for your own in life .. its much more better ...

And don't think like "I don't want to be rejected" .. the odds of that happening are there .. think of it like 50% .. its not like people want to be rejected or anything .. but its a part of life .. get to know the person first .. walk up to them and start a conversation .. and let the words flow and see where it takes you ...

The most important thing to start doing that is to first of all .. build some self confidence .. you need that .. some self trust will carry you along the way .. how you gain that ? .. by achievement .. I don't know how to answer that one .. but the achievement I mean is anything .. sports .. studies .. social contact in your environment .. whatever it is .. its something you do well and reach new heights in which will end up make you feel like you are able to achieve something physical .. and be respected / noticed for it by peers ...

When you have that you will lose the feeling of "Am I good enough ?" .. just build some self confidence .. start first by looking at the things you already know how to do .. and see if one of those fits the bill or simply can be build over :slight_smile: .. best of luck to you ...

3. Neutrality

This sounds very much like you are experincing something aking to the "Nice guy" syndrome straight guys get where they put a girl up on a pedastal and think about her as some amazing thing instead of just another person just like them that they like...I would suggest looking up dating advice intended for "Nice guys" but, I can tell you that it's mostly a confidence issue. I am sure you are awesome and some girl will be lucky to get you.

4. Kay

Kay Guest

Try to put the idea of I am not good enough out of your mind. It can be difficult but you are good enough.
    Another thought that comes to mind is straight bi or lesbian you have to take the chance if you are attracted to her. You never know. If you get shot down by a woman who is straight so have we all. If she says I am flattered but no thanks. You move on to that next woman who attracts your eye and makes your heart beat faster.
    Be confident and move forward with positive energy and leave doubt behind. Good luck and Hugs sweetie.

5. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow... seeing this broke my heart, because I know exactly what you're talking about with the Nice Guy Syndrome, and you know what? I've always hated that, I've always hated how some men treat women as well as a few other things related to what you said. But at the same time, I almost don't feel that it's similar, because I am actually very protective of women, and so what I feel is that my nervousness/lack of confidence comes from a different place. I guess from a place of not wanting to screw up? I mean I don't see them as just this amazing 'thing' and that's it, as it gets me angry to think of someone objectively seeing women as just 'things'. I just think of a part of me doesn't want to hurt them, doesn't want to screw it up because I like them so much... ugh.

In other words... it seems like I have them on a different kind of pedestal, which could be just as bad, right? :confused:

Thanks so much for your post, None. I do have some issues with my confidence, I wish it weren't so but I have to amdit it. I really took in your advice though and I agree, it makes sense to work at something that I'm good at and then build confidence through that. It's hard and it'll take time to really be alright with myself, but hopefully I can take pride in the fact that I'm at least working on making myself better. Having confidence is a personal thing too, and I wouldn't want to burden that on a girl that I might meet in the future as that wouldn't be fair to her at all.

Ahh, you're so right, Kay! Thanks. (*hug*) When I think about it, it all does seem to come down to actually taking that chance (or two, or three). Deep down I think I knew that, I was just scared to admit it. Like I said, I'll be just fine and dandy when I'm not around a girl that I'm interested in, but once it comes it's so hard in the moment to not think of messing things up! All those stupid thoughts flood my head.... but I guess I have to learn to keep blocking them out and stay positive. Which is weird because I'm usually not too bad about being positive... just when it comes to girls, of course everything starts getting whacky. :eusa_doh:

#5 Thieves, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  6. None

On the dark side of the moon, running to the east.
    About something inside you that cares so much its afraid it would hurt .. think of it like this .. progression on everything in life isn't really liner but circular .. and I mean everything .. if you care so much about someone you can think about it until you reach this point where you think that it would be better to avoid to hurt them by simply remaining in place .. which in turn cancels the whole operation of caring about someone :confused: .. you ended up reaching a mental conclusion that satisfies you (at least mentally) that its better that I don't go too close .. which physically leaves you at the same point where you started ...

Same things can happen everywhere progression of thinking exists .. you think about god so much you could end up being an atheist .. if you think then that god doesn't exist so much and start looking for answers you will find out that god does exist :eek: .. you love your work and want to be the best one in it and you keep working hard eventually you will reach the feeling that you aren't really the best .. etc. .. keep working on something eventually your thinking will rebound and you will slowly start thinking the other way :lol: .. that is how life is ...

A good example to clear things would be running around the world .. think that you want to reach the farthest point from where you are right now :dry: .. 12 hours in difference time zone .. if you started running to the west .. eventually you will reach that point .. THIS IS WHERE YOU SHOULD STOP :icon_bigg .. because if you kept running you will eventually go back where you started from the east side of the world :lol: .. that is how thinking is like .. its a circular progression in which the length of the circle and its position in space is based on how much the person knows about the world and feelings :thumbsup: ...

What you need to do is find the courage to move "physically" with your feelings when you are at that point in thinking -the 12 hours difference :icon_bigg- and act based on that .. don't let yourself sink back in your head after reaching that point .. what do you need to act on that particular moment ? what type of courage is it called ? .. yes .. its called self-confidence :slight_smile: ...

And don't worry about hurting the one you love -unintentionally of course :eek:- because it will happen .. while you walk through life with your loved one you will meet a lot of obstacles and I mean A LOT .. from other couples walking on the streets hitting you without noticing to that one boss who will want to make your life a living hell just because s/he can :lol: .. and during that walk you will unintentionally bump into your loved one maybe as someone outside bumped into you .. and your shoulder hits her face and she will be sad and maybe even cry (I was gonna say boobies since I am having a related conversation about those on another thread :lol:slight_smile: .. but you know what ? .. since you care about her you will feel sad for doing that .. and since she cares about you she will understand that you didn't really mean to and that you are sorry .. you will both hug .. cry .. do whatever you want to do and eventually you will be back stronger then ever before that moment where you ended up hurting one another ...

Its one of life's facts .. as you gain self-confidence and life knowledge you will come to see the truth of hurting in life more practically then just fearing it mentally .. and in time you will accept it and so will your loved one .. at that point you will both be mature enough to take the responsibilities of love and life :thumbsup: .. simply put .. just work on your self-confidence and don't think too much about your feelings without acting based on them :slight_smile: .. you have those feelings for a reason you know .. which is to materialize them :lol: ...