1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Right thing to do"?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Noir, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Noir

I just need some quick opinions--if I'm planning to break up with my girlfriend after the holidays, I told her I'm giving family priority over friends during the break, and I don't want to do anything out of pity or sympathy (her parents are going through the beginnings of a divorce), is it okay for me to not talk to her except maybe a "Merry Christmas" message? I've pretty much been ignoring her and not replying to her messages anyway except every so often.

What should I do?? Do I basically have to choose between what I need verses what she needs? She doesn't really have many other good friends to help her through it, but I don't see how I'd be helping her if I'm just going to break up the next time I see her anyway...:help:

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't tell you what to ultimately do, as that's between you and her, but the one thing I would suggest is not to string her along and not pay attention to her. If she's under the impression that she's in a relationship, then days of silence with only a "merry christmas" text isn't really fair, for her or for you - it basically just dodges the issue at hand. If the reality of the situation has changed, then a conversation about that might be in order.