1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I ever pass as male?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jim, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim

I'm feeling kind sad at the moment because I don't think I'll ever be able to pass as male without surgery or T, and I can't do either at the moment.

I wear male clothes, and have a male-ish haircut, but I'm naturally very thin and I don't gain muscle easily, so finding male clothes that fit in the first place is very hard. I also can't get a binder because my mum doesn't want me to, and I don't have a credit card to get one online, so at the moment I'm using just fabric wrapped around my chest, which works because I have a small chest anyway, but it slips down all the time which is a pain in the ass.

And although I have quite a deep voice for a girl, it's still not within a male range, and I don't want to damage it by doing any vocal exercises, not that I sing or anything, I just don't really want to damage my throat.

Does anyone have any tips or anything? I'm sick of being a girl, and I want to look on the outside how I feel inside :/

2. Qx1

Qx1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can understand this.. (I can't take T cause of other medications)

If you have a sewing machine, try on a elastic undershirt. When it fits without being loose you can try to take 2cm per time, trying it on after every sewing step till it's compfortable and tight. If you have a fabric shop nearby, look for elastic fabric and sew it to the top area of the shirt (inside). That's how I went so far. It works best with cheap tubular fabrics. I bought 60cm of it, take it a double and did the same 2cm sewing step thing as with the shirt. You can buy this fabric in skin colors, so you can wear it under white shirts, too... One day you should buy a binder or ask a friend for help. But I knew the situation you're in, it's really hard at the moment.

The fear about your voice is one of mine too (pro singer), so I am also afraid it could be damaged by hormone treatment.

I hoped I could help you a little.

3. ForceAndVerve

I'm stumped for suggestions but I do think a lot of it has to do with hair, clothes and body language. If its any consolation I think your doing pretty well atm, if your pictures are anything to go by. I would think you were a guy if I saw you in the street.

In my eyes I don't think having a very light frame helps. Dunno if you want to do anything about that by either working out and/or increasing your calorie intake slightly? But like I said, that's just my personal opinion. Could be the complete opposite of what everyone else thinks. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. RainbowBright

If you can't make a binder for yourself as suggested above, ace bandages will hold much better - they are elastic and come with metal clips, and you can get them in any drugstore in a big roll for injuries. Should be more comfortable and won't fall down (and they are thin enough that if they did for some reason fall, you could wrap a single line over each shoulder and underneath the main part, and no one could see them through clothes.
    A top slimmer, which you can get in a women't dept. near other body shapers, can also be bought for cheap and turned around so the breast room is at your back and the tank top-shaped slimmer can press on your chest - you can get them without any kind of breast enhancement, just stretched out holes, so they would not show in the back... this might be something your mom would be willing to buy if she didn't know you were going to wear it backwards, because it's feminine, and you can also try it on in the store to see how it would look - it's way faster than wrapping yourself, but it might be hard to get one small enough since you are already small.

You can also learn "guy mannerisms" - if you study the way masculine guys walk, they are confident, laid-back, have a swagger to them. The way they speak, sit, eat... everything has a certain ease and lack of self-consciousness about it - they are never sitting there thinking "do I look ok? Is this rude?" Maybe you already have a lot of this down, but consider that there are plenty of small thin boys who are young and have no facial hair or low voice or anything yet, but they don't get mistaken for girls. Watch them and see what they are doing, and how you may do things differently. Then at worst you seem like a young boy until you get further in your process, but that's not a bad thing, you are only 17 after all- if you get confused for a 14 yr old boy sometimes that's not the worst thing.

In the meantime, you can try to bulk up if that's important to you. You can increase your protein intake and start working out your arms (to be honest I'd not work too hard on the rest because if you lose more weight that will make it even harder). Over time you can get some lean muscles, which is better than no arm muscles. And if you do decide to change your hormones in the future, you will already have started something to build on.

If you're skilled with makeup application (or willing to learn) and your family is not a problem, you can also learn to apply a little dark gray in certain areas of your face that will contour your face or give it a little "5 o'clock shadow" look. But practice and learn about these techniques online first, you don't want to go out looking like a kid who got into mom's makeup! Consider though that Hollywood makeup artists make effects like this all the time, if you use your face as art you can do the same thing. You can also draw tiny hairs at the top of your chest for the part where your shirt opens, or even buy a fake mustache - but remember, less is more, and practice makes perfect. When trying to fake hair, it is always better to try to make it look as thin or as small as possible, it's easier to make it look real to do a shadow than a big bushy mustache and gorilla-hairy chest, and most people think it's more attractive anyway. You can cut sideburns into your hair too if you haven't already, and add a few lines with a makeup pencil to your eyebrows if they aren't thick enough (always go a shade lighter than your darkest natural color - the instinct to go right for black when you have mostly light or brown hair is a bad one). Try some of these things out in public before testing them with people at school or family, though.

But do consider if you want to be ambiguous, for some people that's a look unto itself, and can be very sexy, whether or not you identify clearly as one gender. Sometimes the best style is being a little bit of both, especially when that's also where you are genetically and mentally. But if you want to change, there are lots of things you can do without a lot of money or medical procedures. And even if your mom objects, you can still do it in your room and then change back when you have to leave it.

5. Jim

Jim

Really?! Wow, cheers!

Thanks for the help guys. I hope I can steal my mum's weights without her noticing. She's a bit sensitive about my weight because I had/have an eating disorder and I'm just starting to recover, so if I start going to a gym she'd probably think I'm trying to lose weight, which I'm not. (Although I miss being really skinny, I know it wasn't healthy and I really wouldn't pass like that)

I'm trying to work on my mannerisms a bit, I already sat like a dude (legs apart) so that helps when sitting down, but most guys are quite monotonous when they talk, and don't have many inflections to their voice, whereas I'm very animated when I talk and I tend to talk a lot, so I don't really want to suddenly seem moody or whatever. I have a friend who's male, but he has a higher pitched voice than most and the way he talks is more feminine, so I'm trying to copy him at the moment, and hope for the best.

When I get some money, I'm definitely going to try making a binder from the suggestions you guys gave me, although ace bandages are cheaper, I've heard bad things about them and I don't want to damage anything permanently.

6. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Your pics look pretty male to me. My ex girlfriend-turned-boyfriend (trans) looked very similar to you and passed as a boy perfectly! You have quite an androgynous look about you and it really works.

7. Jim

Jim

Cheers! I guess I got a bit paranoid 'cause some woman was talking to her son who was in my way and went "get out of the way of that girl" and I was like I AIN'T NO GIRL but I didn't actually say anything...

8. TheUglyBarnacle

Just looked at your pics. You look like a guy to me. A little younger than you are but certainly a guy.

I think it's all about attitude, really. Men have this confidence that surrounds them. They are much less graceful and more blunt both movement-wise and tongue-wise.
    Oh, and facial expressions. Girls, in general, have this cute aura about them (e.g. hand in front of mouth when laughing, giggling etc) whereas guys are more "cool" (e.g. more loud when laughing, more likely to grimace etc). Guys don't pout as much, if at all, and girls are more "shy". Not true for everyone though.